Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_winterwheat

Selling garlic

Mrs.WinterWheat
10 years ago

Hi!
I am going to a local market to sell some garlic. Mostly to get my name out there and to sell off what was left over after I choose my seed stock.
I have 5 varieties (French rocamboles, German red, music, Khabar, Susan Delafield) and not sure how I should price them.
So far I have them split into varieties with the music being the largest at 2 inches across. But the rest of the varieties are around 1-1 1/2 inches. Is it that the music is just a "larger bulb"? Should I still sell them for the same price? Or should I sell the larger bulbs for more?
Also what is the going price? I was thinking about $1/bulb...but not sure if I should decrease that for the smaller ones.
Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

$7-$8 per pound is a fair price for any/all garlic. Selling by the head is a rip off in my experience--the smaller the garlic the more you pay that way--not fair. By the pound is the only fair way to go.

• illinoisdoglover
    10 years ago

I have not sold garlic, but I bought some from someone this year that sells garlic and he charged $15.00 a pound for collector named garlic and $7.95 postage. I bought four varieties at a quarter of a pound each. I hope to grow my own garlic and give some to my children to start growing. I guess it all depends on where you are selling.

• Mark
    10 years ago

Many people are deterred by an $8/lb price tag but are willing to buy one with a "$2 each" price (even though sometimes they can end up paying more than $8/lb). I watch this happen over and over. It's just part of the publics nature to get spooked by high per pound prices. After fighting it and not selling as much garlic as i'd like, now I usually sell by the piece.

If you have time to sort them by size, i'd suggest trying it. The price starts out high and gets lower as you get to smaller garlic.
    If I don't have time to sort and i'll set a high 'per piece' price on the display. When the large ones are picked over, i'll drop the price. No one ever seemed to notice or care about the price drop.

-Mark

• Mark
    10 years ago

Many people are deterred by an $8/lb price tag but are willing to buy one with a "$2 each" price (even though sometimes they can end up paying more than $8/lb). I watch this happen over and over. It's just part of the publics nature to get spooked by high per pound prices. After fighting it and not selling as much garlic as i'd like, now I usually sell by the piece.

If you have time to sort them by size, i'd suggest trying it. The price starts out high and gets lower as you get to smaller garlic.
    If I don't have time to sort and i'll set a high 'per piece' price on the display. When the large ones are picked over, i'll drop the price. No one ever seemed to notice or care about the price drop.

-Mark

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think the lucrative market is to sell seed stock.
    Most gardeners are willing to pay for something that is out of the ordinary. Majority of the public do not know any difference between garlics. If they can buy it at WalMatr for $4/lbs, will not buy it from you at $8/lb.. But If, for example, I want to plants 5 different kinds and you sell them for $8/lb, I would say, ok. Mix two lbs of all 5. Or give me half a lbs of each. Then include a nice brochure about garlic, how to plant it, how to care for it ...

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

People where I live are becoming interested in growing the different varieties of garlic. The garlic I sold to the small organic market in my town for $5.00/lb. went for $7.50/lb to people who wanted to use it as seed.

I sell crafts and garlic at fairs and had good luck this year with the 1/2 lb. bags of three kinds of garlic for $3.00. No one sniffed at the price and most were happy to get the mixed bag. It was a good way to sell the smaller heads which I generally give away to friend for free.

• Mark
    10 years ago

Almost all of my garlic sells for seed and goes from 10-12 /lb. which is lower than most mail order places. I don't bother with the brochure.....

The smaller ones go to market for eating.

Kris, I like the idea of a mixed bag, may have to try that.