Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My garlic: Is it nearing harvest?

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 22:32

I planted this garlic early this year. This is my first time growing garlic and I'm having trouble finding any photos or descriptions that look like mine. Does this look like it's about ready for harvest? If not, then what are the signs it's ready?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My garlic: Is it nearing harvest?

That sure looks like garlic chives whose leaves can be harvested anytime, but you don't uproot the entire plant like you would a garlic bulb. There is a small bulb on the bottom, but typically you only harvest the leaves.

o

If I were you, I'd cut off the flowers before the seeds start dropping. You'd be surprised at how prolific one garlic chive plant can be.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 22:45

Thank you! I found part of the plant tag which broke, and the piece I found says "Garlic"; guess the part that says "Chives" is still in the ground, LOL. So, it's a perennial herb like regular chives! I'll cut the flowers soon before the go to seed... I'll give the bees a chance to feast on them first.

Thank you again!

Jen

o

It's a perennial herb but more like mint. Unless you keep it controlled it will take over your herb garden. Be sure to keep those flowers trimmed before they seed.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 19:34

wolverine: As long as I don't let it go to seed, it doesn't otherwise spread in the same way mint does, does it?

o

Mint spreads by root; garlic chives by seed. We have both regular chives and garlic chives. Both have been allowed to seed, but only the garlic chives seem to be so prolific. Once the seeds scatter and they sprout, the plants are almost impossible to kill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here