Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garlic suppliers

Posted by little_minnie 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 22:43

Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of my crop but want to buy a little more. Some of the growers are not open for the year yet and others are sold out. I really want Simonetti again but can't find it. Also does anyone have recommendations for good prices? It is more about getting additional varieties this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garlic suppliers

Ronningers and Landreth Seeds have Simonetti, unless they have sold out.

o

Try Big Red Barn Gourmet Garlic.

http://www.bigredbarngourmetgarlic.com

They have beautiful bulbs and you can buy by the bulb instead of by the pound, and specify size! They are also very friendly and responsive. I don't see Simonetti in their online catalogue, but if you ask they may grow it next year.

TomNJ/VA

o

Some folks here on gardenweb sell excellent quality garlic for planting. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic for planting

o

Yes Mark I have yours. I need additional varieties, well not need but want. ;-)
Thanks I will check those.

o

No luck. :(

o

I do not know whether you went to the Minnesota Garlic Festival this year or not, but the quality of garlic available this year was quite impressive. All vendors have to have their garlic tested and proven free of GBN in order to be allowed to sell at the event. I consider this the worst potential threat so it is good they have that policy.

I acquired several varieties that I do not have, got a small growers discount and ended up paying around $1.50 per bulb for average to above average sized bulbs, good enough to experiment with. Some vendors had some very good sized garlic, it seemed Estonian Red was the standout of the event.

Retail garlic prices for singles ranged from $1 per bulb at the low end to $3 per bulb at the high end, most of the vendors had decent-sized single bulbs priced at $2 each. Prices by weight ranged from $7 to $9 per half pound and $10 to $15 per pound. Bulb sizes ranged from small to very large.

http://hillsideprairiegardens.com/

IMO Hillside Prairie Gardens out of eastern South Dakota had the very best quality garlic for a reasonable price. I did not see that they had Simonetti, though.

http://hawksbrain.com/blog/

Hawks Brain Garlic out of Red Wing, Minnnesota had the largest selection of varieties, but all a bit on the small side IMHO. They might have Simonetti, they would be your best bet of all the vendors that attended. Blog is a bit out of date but you should be able to get valid contact info there.

I counted 14 garlic vendors at the event. I believe they are all from Minnesota with the exception of one from South Dakota and one from Iowa. If you wanted to contact any other/all of the vendors that attended, I believe the event website has a vendor list you can work from.

http://www.sfa-mn.org/garlicfest/

I am personally very leery of purchasing seed garlic now and I would have felt comfortable purchasing garlic from any of the vendors there (but that was because I could inspect the product before purchase).

As far as I am concerned the AY phytoplasma issue is over, all garlic from this area should be safe to purchase from that standpoint. GBN is a much more serious potential issue to be concerned about and it will slowly get worse.

I will keep on the lookout for Simonetti and if I come across some decent stock I will pick some up for you.

Good luck with your search.
-Tom

o

I'm not pushing you minni, I just have a lot of garlic this season and i'm plugging it! :)

o

Thanks Tom. I didn't go to the festival. I went to the St Paul farmers market last weekend and bought some cheap garlic, but no clue on variety. Looks Asian.

Mark your garlic did well. I hear Lorz Italian is hot for a softneck.

Here is a pic of my box for planting.
 photo F8373707-898C-4D9D-9242-407D0F8A0268_zpsbwgf4cgh.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here