Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehydrating garlic

Posted by jimmy0058 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 22:58

Has anyone tried dehydrating garlic with the skins on? I was wondering if maybe the skins came off easier when the clove is dried.
I was also wanting to use a pepper grinder to get a more granular powder then my small coffee bean grinder. Last time the powder was way to fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehydrating garlic

I dehydrate every year, peel the clove and slice them into slabs, turn on machine...that's it. sure the skin would fall off after a few days in the dehydrator. I would not recommend drying a whole clove at a time though.

o

I have tried drying the really small cloves with the skins on. It still takes awhile to remove the skins from the dehydrator trays but the main problem is they don't all dry at the same rate like sliced ones do. You have to feel each one to find and remove the dry ones. The peeling and slicing ends up less time consuming with less dehyrdating time

o

The easiest way to remove the skins for drying is to place the cloves in a stainless or other hard surface bowl, place a second bowl on top forming a ball, and shake very hard. After just about 30 second the paper peels right off.

o

I peel and cube to around 1/8 inch.These cubes come out of my hand grinder with a consistency similiar to the end of your question.I slab if i am making fine powder.I use the 9 tray Excalibur model for all my dehydrating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here