Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple sensation vs. globemaster

Posted by joannemb 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 23:44

Struggling to decide between the two. Those of you who have had experience with them, are there any pros/cons?

From what I've read, globemaster has bigger blooms, but is a lighter color purple. Purple sensation is darker with smaller blooms.

A few questions remain:
1.) Are they equally as dense? I love the pictures of globemaster that show them as a big dense puff-ball. Some of the p.sensation pics make it seem airier...

2.) Is purple sensation shorter?

3.) And most importantly... (because if I can't decide I think I'll just mix them which might be nice to have a variety of sizes/shades of purple in the border anyway) Do they bloom at the same time? I don't want one to die out faster than the other leaving me having to cut down 1/2 the blooms and making the border less full. I'd rather have a 'big bang' and have it be done :)

Thanks for your help and experience---this newbie appreciates it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple sensation vs. globemaster

Also,
How would go about arranging 2 varieties in a bed? Should I do a triangle of 3 globemaster, then a triangle of 3 purple sensation, or should I do a triangular grouping of both types---mixing them up? Do I have to keep the shorter ones in front? That would mean I'd do a grouping of 3 globemasters in back, move up and do a grouping of 3 sensations, then move back and do another group of 3 globemasters..... I really just have no idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here