Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturemitch

Can someone explain why are drying onions keep sprouting?

naturemitch
11 years ago

We have been drying our onions in our mudroom for a few weeks now, but seem to be losing 1 or 2 every few days to softening and sprouting. We have reds, whites, and yellows, and the whites seem the worst. Of course the whites are immature bulbs that we pulled when thinning (most of the main crop is still in the ground). But, the yellows are mature...and I am starting to see some of the sprouting begin on the yellows now as well.

When we pulled the bulbs we left them outside on racks for a few days. They were rained on once, but we moved them into the mudroom the next day, put a fan on them, and they were drying up wonderfully. The mudroom faces north so does not get much light, but it is seeing temp. flucuations between our nighttime lows and our daytime highs. For exm., we went thru a week of 40-45 degree nights and 70 degree days. Could this have stimulated sprouting? The onions are close to being dried, although the necks have a bit of drying to do yet. In my thinking, I do not want to move them into the basement, but putting them in the garage will have them see the same temp. flucuations.

Could someone fill me in on the sprouting issue? I am certainly no onion pro, but have cured onions before and did not see this sprouting issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES