Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Poll - when do you plant shallot bulbs and where are you??

dancinglemons
13 years ago

Hello all,

Do you plant your shallot BULBS in the spring -or- in the fall. I'm not asking about shallot seeds - please answer about planting bulbs. Also -- What is your planting zone and/or location?

My answer:

Zone 7B and I'm planting shallot bulbs in September

Thanks,

DL

Comments (12)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

I've done both. It seems to work more or less equally well for me either way. They are fully hardy here in SE Michigan and will return from year to year IF treated for onion maggots, otherwise, they tend to be destroyed by the insects.

Now, garlic definitely MUST be fall planted, spring planted doesn't make a decent bulb, but can be used in a pinch for the greens.

Now that you mention it -- I should pick some up at the store and plant for next year -- one less chore to do in the spring!!! I did grow a few this year, but they got mixed in with my regular onions, and I don't feel like fishing them out.

And, I've been meaning to grow some elephant garlic again, as my last ones died out. Time to do that, too!

• spiced_ham
    13 years ago

I plant mine with the garlic in late fall. The ground is easy to work and I can get it out of the way. I'm in zone 5-6.

• bloosquall
    13 years ago

I plant by Oct 5th, zone 6. Waitsburg WA

• dancinglemons
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks! I will be planting mine this weekend - no frost yet but it is almost November. Will just have to see how they grow.

DL

• plantinellen
    13 years ago

I planted Dutch shallots a couple of weeks ago in my Zone 5 garden. I think I'm going to try some French gray "frogleg" shallots this spring.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

When planting from grocery store do you plant the whole bulb? For some reason, I read somewhere, just to plant the root scraps after using the bulb.

• HollyinMasonNeck
    12 years ago

I'm in Zone 7 and always plant them in the Fall. I've had good luck doing that.

• promethean_spark
    12 years ago

I've had better luck with them spring planted here in CA. When I plant them in the fall or winter they divide too many times and I get clumps of about 20 garlic clove sized shallots, whereas when I plant them in April I'll get half a dozen ping-pong ball sized shallots. It seems that they divide like bunching onions until daylength triggers them to bulb up. Some bolt when fall planted as well (but produced no seed).

Shallots are ready for harvest in late July-August regardless of when they're planted.

• planatus
    12 years ago

I stopped planting shallots in the fall because of very high rot rates. Instead I set them out in March, followed by seed sown shallots.

My theory is that my shallots harvested in July and cured through August are still in deep dormancy in Oct., when it's time to plant garlic. By Feb-Mar they are finally ready to wake up and grow.

• SaladQueen
    11 years ago

I would be grateful to know the spacing in inches, that you consider "much too close" for your shallots, and what you tried in 2011, and your results. I'm about ready to put some in my EBs. Thanks!

>Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
    >Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 3:39

"Just thought I'd give an update. I planted the shallots last fall (2010) in my EarthBoxes. They overwintered great and gave me some nice shallots in early June 2011. I planted them much too close so the shallots were not good size but in a few days I will plant for 2011 and they will be a better spacing. "

• jolj
    11 years ago

I am in Lugoff, S.C., which is 7b/8a according to which zone map you have.
    I do not have shallots, but have top set onions/ walking(??) onions. I plant garlic & onions in Oct. 2011 & will plant them Sept.2012. I have room to space them, so I put them 6 inches apart & mulch heavy, using drip hose when it warms up.
    If I had limited space, I would plant them 3 inches on center.
    My onions nest so by harvest some of them touch.
    I hope to try shallot this Spring.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts