Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinterning Garlic

Posted by crystallinelotus MA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 8:12

I planted garlic (early select) and onions (yellow, white, and red) back in May. They didn't grow too well. Can I leave the bulbs in the ground, since now is the time to do fall planting? Should I dig them up and eat those, and then plant new sets now? I read somewhere that one should plant garlic/onions somewhere not recently used for growing garlic/onions. Is that true?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinterning Garlic

Unless you're growing the onions for seed next year, it's best to pull them now and replant new in Spring. You might be able to get some decent growth out of them next year before they send up a flower stalk and get woody inside but I'd eat them now.

For garlic, it depends if they grew enough to produce cloves or if you've only got single cloves (rounds) down there. If you dig carefully around the bulbs you should be able to see if there are multiples or a single now (since the wrappers should have disintegrated) and if there are multiples you'd be best digging and replanting to give sufficient space to each clove. If you've got rounds, you can leave them in and they should come up fine either later this year or in early Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here