Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Music Garlic-Has anyone grown it?

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 9:01

I just ordered Music garlic to plant this fall. Can anyone give me any information about it? Is it alright to grow it in a large container? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Music Garlic-Has anyone grown it?

• Posted by jwk1 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 8:01

I have not had much success with growing garlic in 5 gallon buckets, but I guess it would depend on your winters. I tried music like this and lost them all. We had a very cold winter. I don't know exactly what happened, but they were all rotted out come spring.

Having said that, I have found music to be pretty mild. It grows in huge cloves, 4 - 6 to a bulb. There's nothing wrong with it, but after growing some of the rocambole types, I just found it boring. YMMV.

o

jwk1,
From your experience, which cultivars have the best flavor, store well, and are the easiest to grow?

o

Kr222,

let me give the straight scoop on this, There is the popular group of garlic, such as German Red, spanish Roja, Chesnok, Metechi and Music. That is what everybody knows the name of so they order that. I grow them so I can sell'em to those people. Now, I must admit so far Chesnok is my favorite purple stripe..it's great raw and cooked.

I just now ate a Nootka Rose clove raw, it was excellent. it's a silver skin with great flavor and very long shelf life. look up the silver skins if want a really durable garlic.

I grew some Metechi in 6" pots but I also put them in the ground so they wouldn't freeze..it was an experiment. it worked well. I don't see any reason you can't put your Music in containers, Just keep it from freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here