Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowerlover_ky

Have store bought garlic that's sprouting

sunflowerlover_KY
18 years ago

Was wondering if I planted it, if it would grow? When would I plant, and what kind of care would it need, when to harvest, etc. I'm a garlic planting virgin. LOL!

Comments (2)

• username_5
    18 years ago

Yes it will grow. Split it into individual cloves and plant a few inches deep. Space about 5-6" apart.

It needs ample water and fertilizer, but at this point I would just put it in the ground and leave it be. The green growth above ground will be killed in the winter, but it will regrow in the spring. You can add a few inches of mulch in the winter to help it make it through the cold.

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Keep in mind that store-bought is likely to be California White---not the best tasting garlic around.

Were it me I'd plant it for green garlic (sort of scallions that are garlic instead of onions). Pop the cloves and plant them only about an inch apart. For this purpose, you can plant them so the natural neck is just underground. The green parts can be exposed.

This should give you a decent green garlic crop. First frost will be sometime in October (depending where you are in Kentucky), followed by at least a month more of nice growing weather.

For regular garlic, planting is done anytime in October-December, here in the Bluegrass. I like to plant around Thanksgiving weekend, myself. Overwinter frosts rarely kill-back any green growth. Normally the tips of the leaves get a little frost-bitten, but that's all. Regrowth will start in February, and harvest in late June and through July, depending on variety.

If you have the time, you might want to attend the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy fall conference, October 21-23. There will be several alliums authorities present, one of whom, Tom Greenwood, is giving a presentation. So you can get a lot of questions answered.

For details on the conference, send your snail-mail addy to KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!