Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pocketsquirrel69

My Martin Heirloom's Pictures

pocketsquirrel69
18 years ago

Hi Folks & Martin,

I've posted pictures of my garlic on web, it can be viewed at the following link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/mcjsautio@rogers.com

What you will see is 2 inch bulbs, they are from a spring planting of bulbils. I cheated a bit, by starting the bulbils indoors in peat pots around the beginning of March. I figured this would give them a good jump in the garden and it certainly did. I used no fertilizer and the only thing I added to the soil in the garden was some composted manure. The garden was over-run with weeds once or twice this summer which may have slowed their growth a little.

Along with the Martin's Heirloom, I also planted 7 other varieties of garlic, none of them prospered as well as the martin's and most of them were planted from large cloves. I definitely think that the martin's thrives in this zone and I plan on only planting martin's this year, in hopes that I can share with other gardeners in my area.

Overall I am pretty happy with the success of this season. Enjoy the pics.

later folks,

Matti

P.S/By the way, this is the first time I've posted pictures at this link...if you can't access the pictures, please let me know.

Comments (6)

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

The links worked fine, but I only see thumbnails, not full images.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Although the pictures are a bit small, there are good enough for me to be happy with the results. I see nice divided garlic bulbs from a spring planting of bulbils. Good enough for me!

The method of starting the bulbils early was mentioned on a site that I scanned through a week or so ago. It was also mentioned that some will produce in a single season and others will take much longer depending upon the size.

Now all I have to do is sort out what I have for cloves and bulbils and figure out how to distribute them. I don't have the ground to grow a lot of them out so I may as well shift them all around. We've got them in a few places in the US and Canada as well as Denmark. If I lose them for any reason after all these years, they are safe elsewhere!

Martin

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

Martin, I would be happy to trade in addition to providing a Granite State home for MH. If space is really that tight in your garden, perhaps I can grow the trade stock for you! I am intrigued by the descriptions and accolades, and look forward to being part of the family!

• paquebot
    18 years ago

You know, John and all, I grew that variety all by itself for probably 15 years before adding several more. Usually aimed for 25-30 bulbs to last the year. Then I started adding all of those other "better" varieties until there was little room left for my old favorite. If you were here at the beginning of this forum, you'd know how close it was to being lost as I almost didn't have any here for one year. We were lucky that my son was still growing it and was able to get some back to grow again.

It's taken some thinking tonight as to where in H--- I'm going with this garlic game. Well, I happen to like my old one and it was one of the best in this dry year. There's going to be a "fire sale" shortly but it won't be for Martin's Topsetter, it will be for anything else that didn't measure up this year. Other than my old one, everything else is available somewhere. Therefore, the decision was made tonight to plant the main garlic bed at least 75% Martin's.

Did I just hear a big moan from the rest of you? Don't worry. I think that I had 27 bulbs at harvest time. I figure that it's going to use up about 10 bulbs to handle that project. Whatever is left will be strictly for distribution here on GW. I'd prefer that it go to serious growers who will be able to devote a permanent spot for it rather than just growing it for the kitchen. As near as we can tell, the original source may even be extinct or nearly so. There's no commercial variety exactly like it and only a few SSE varieties may be close. I probably should not have to worry as Matti and Bill have got it and both are serious about growing it. Now we can let a lot more into the game. So, that's where we are as of tonight.

Martin

• pocketsquirrel69
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Martin and folks,
    Just to let you know, all but one bulb will be going back into the garden this fall. One bulb got damaged in harvesting so... off to the kitchen with it. I've only used one clove of it so far and was quite impressed with the flavor. My plan is to build up the number of bulbs as quickly as i can so that i can spread it around to 4 other garlic heads up here. They harvested less than 30% of their normal harvest and all but lost some varieties. They all looked in envy at my tall green garlic..... hehe.

till the next posting,

Matti

• paquebot
    18 years ago

There now is an offer in the Exchanges portion of this Allium Forum. 10 cloves and 20 bulbils for as long as they last. That should give a good comparison for planting cloves and bulbils at the same time.

Martin

Sponsored