Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easy to find garlic - what to chose?

Posted by tjg911 z5b CT (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 12:38

Wow, I hit the jackpot!

There's a local organic farm that sells garlic at the local farmer's market. He gets his garlic from the Saugerities garlic Festival and sells at least 15 closer to 20 varieties, it's a LONG list! Hardnecks mostly but some softnecks. Get this - $4 a pound! I stumbled upon this on Saturday, he's at the farmer's market each Saturday but you never know what he'll bring.

I bought some Music, German White and Georgian Crystal, selecting good quality bulbs with the largest cloves. I now have enough garlic to plant 102 cloves, 6" on center, that's about one and a half 4' X 4' squares and I want to plant 3 squares for a toal of 48 square feet. I grow the same amount of onions so this seems like a good amount, yes I eat a lot of garlic, but I'd like to use save some for seed too. For my area, northwest Ct, zone 5b what varieties would you suggest I try? Just name names and I'll check his list.

I also ate some and it sure is better than store bought California softneck garlic.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easy to find garlic - what to chose?

Georgian Crystal worked really well for me last year so I hope it does the same for you. Others that should do pretty well around your area are Siberian, German Extra Hardy, Polish White (hardneck) and Killarney Red. German Brown also did ok but for some reason the bulbs were a bit smaller than the rest. I'm trying Bogatyr this year since it's supposed to do well in cold areas and Metechi just for fun so no feedback yet on them.

$4 per pound is great ... glad you found him just in time for final planning. Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here