Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first year onions from seed going to seed?

Posted by Chubasco 6a/AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 13:19

From all I have read on this forum onions planted from seed do not go to seed unless left to grow the following year. However, my Utah spanish sweet white I planted this spring are doing so now. They are large 4" or so and I have been waiting for tops to wilt before harvest. Some are putting up tall scapes with seed pods, anyone have this happen to your first year onions from seed?
Brent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first year onions from seed going to seed?

yes, it has happened to me. Never all of a variety, but a few in a batch aren't uncommon. I don't know what causes this.

o
RE: first year onions from seed going to seed?

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 16:30

Some kind of stress such as lack of water. Not usually at 4" size though. Wrong onion for your area will do it too. Sometimes, they just do.
You now have two choices. Pull and use or leave to produce seed for next year. They will not store well and will quickly go bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here