Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic..... starting and mulching

Posted by bomber095 z5b MA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 13:24

When in the fall is a good time in zone 5b to plant garlic, and what type of mulch would you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic..... starting and mulching

I've planted mine already. I usually wait till Oct. 10th or so, but if I don't get it done now , it won't get done cause we are going on a fishing trip this week then a business trip soon after that.
I think any straw will work for mulch.

o

You'll be planting soon,I'd think.Here in 6,I like to start mid to late Nov.,but have gone into mid Dec.
Of all the mulches used on garlic,I like chopped leaves the best,about 4" at least.I'm getting scapes by the time any notable weeds develop.

o

I usually plant around Columbus Day so anytime in mid October should work well. I also like using shredded leaves ... I try to cut the grass short a week or so before heavy leaf fall and then just run the lawnmower over the grass and leaves and catch them in the bag. Mostly, this reduces the amount of any weed seeds in the grass mulch and I use about 4-6 inches of the grass clippings over the garlic planting. By spring, it's down to around 1/2 inch and the clippings suppress weeds for a while. I'd probably remove the mulch in spring if you have slow draining soil since it does hold a bit of water.

I can't do straw mulch - every time I've tried, I get mice taking up residence.

o

I use pine shavings - easy to obtain and a bale pretty well covers my planting. Nice and clean - even smells good!
Columbus Day is my target for planting.

o

Do you completely bury the garlic bulbs and cover them with mulch? or wait till the shoots are up?

o

I plant my bulbs about 2 in. deep and then cover with about 6 in. of mulch. I pull most of the mulch back in the spring, but leave enough to help suppress weeds. Keep in mind that I am in zone 4.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here