Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion mulching?

Posted by calm1 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 13:40

I've been told not to mulch onions. We mulch the rest of the garden very heavy. Problem is our onions always get over run with grass & weeds. What about using this 1" thick cardboard that I have & drill 4" holes thru it with a hole saw, then plant in the holes?
Thanks
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion mulching?

you shouldn't mulch onions as you would garlic since onions will have a hard time emerging through the mulch. however after the onions emerge there should be no problem with mulching them. i never have used cardboard so i don't know about that. i use straw. i guess if you use cardboard as one would use plastic mulch then there is nothing blocking the emergence of the plant.

o

I always mulch mine after transplant. Mulch is more about moisture retention than weed prevention for me though.

o

Can l use sowdust

o

I always mulch onions after the leaves get maybe three inches long since weeding is a PITA, using whatever mulch can be turned in later. Grass clippings,shredded leaves, straw shorts,etc. Suppose sawdust could be used, but I never want that much carbon in the soil.

o

Nanyuki I would not mulch with new sawdust as it will take nitrogen from the soil that your onions need.Old rotten saw dust would be O K. Good gardening to ya YOPPER

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here