Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaking Cloves before planting?

Posted by computergardener z7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 13:48

I have grown garlic for the last three years with good success for the most part. As I prepare to plant this year's crop I was reviewing websites for tips on planting garlic. (Always trying to learn new things)

One site suggested soaking the cloves in in a baking soda and liquid seaweed overnight and then giving them a 3-4 minute rinse in rubbing alcohol before peeling and quickly planting. The concept being, the soaking and rinse gives each clove an energy boost and kills pests or pest eggs and any pathogens within the cloves.

I am only planting 40 or so cloves so it would be easy for me to do but I was wondering if anyone else does this or something similar. I wouldn't even ask, but I do find pre-soaking my regular seeds helps with germination.

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaking Cloves before planting?

I also soak mine the night before planting. When I ordered my garlic seed from Gourmet Garlic Gardens, it came with directions for soaking the cloves. I use apple cider vinegar (I can't remember if it specifically called for the cider type; it may be that was all I had) to soak it over night, rinse them in alcohol right before planting, and I don't peel my cloves. I've had good success with my garlic so far.
Chris

o

I tried this for the first time this year. You can use either cider vinegar OR baking soda, and liquid seaweed, then either dip in alcohol OR 140 proof vodka. I chose the baking soda and alcohol, but I must admit - dipping the cloves in rubbing alcohol just seemed wrong! I hope it all turns out ok - hopefully I'll remember to post my results next summer.

o

I had read one of flutesee's post's before and another similar. I soaked mine in red wine vinegar, I forgot about them so instead of overnight it was like 36hrs. I noticed the skins had become very loose, I rinsed in 91% rubbing alcohol and planted. It was only five in a container, I think I might do five more when I pull up the basil in a similar container.

o

I soak my cloves for up to 24 hours in a mix of Maxicrop liquifed seaweed,11%nitrogen water soluble fishfert,Mycorrhizal fungi(water soluble)and worm tea.A tablespoon or so of each to the gallon,if in doubt use more.Most of it is available at Peaceful Valley,Farm &Garden Supply.Buy the maxicrop as a powder and reconstitue at home,saves on shipping costs.

o

Seems like a lot of trouble, for something that usually grows quite well with no treatment whatsoever. What are the supposed benefits of soaking?

o

The benefits of soaking are a quick energy boost for the rooting bulb and growing larger,healthier plants with a better chance of survival and more uniform plants.Bulbs under 1 1/2" just don't sell well,but over 2" move well and for a much better price.The 2 1/2" plus sizes are in great demand for culinary uses.People just don't want to clean teeney tiney cloves and most importantly it takes just as much work to grow small bulbs as it does to grow nice big bulbs that get all the oohs & aahs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here