Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Garlic--Please help

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 14:25

I bought garlic bulbs to plant this fall. The biggest question I have about growing garlic is how do you dry them properly? Plus, I keep reading that you should save the largest bulb to plant in the fall. Would I dry this bulb and store it just like the ones I will use to cook, or does it need special care?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Garlic--Please help

If you baught these bulbs they should already be cured. Place that one that you're going to plant in a cool place of the house out of the sun..heck that's what you should do with all the garlic you have, you only have a few more weeks before planting time anyway. your garlic should be good if you keep it out of the heat.

o

when you dig your in the summer to dry, knock off the dirt, and put them in a dry place with some air circulation. i tie mine in bundles of about 10 on each end of some twine and put them over rafters in the barn. a garage, shed, or any place else thats dry will work. you can also lay them on screens. do not dry them in the sun. hard neck garlic takes at least 2 weeks to dry depending on conditions. artichoke garlic, or other varieties that have numerous cloves may take longer to dry. once they are dry, cut the stems back to about an inch from the bulb, trim the roots, and clean them up a bit. look at each bulb for any visible signs of injury, disease or split bulb wrappers. separate those bulbs out and use them first. they won't keep as long. use your biggest bulbs or cloves for replanting in the fall. they don't require any other special treatment. you want to plant healthy looking cloves from healthy bulbs.

the bulbs you plan on eating, you can keep just about anywhere thats dry, and not too hot or too cold. nothing fancy required.

keith

o

Get the book,'Growing Great Garlic',by Ron Engeland.Read it cover to cover more than once;infact, read it three times a year,before planting,when the sprouts show,and before harvest in July.This will help make you an expert or close to it.

o

Garlicman2,
I just ordered my copy!
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here