Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

First Planting, sharing the beds with Corn?

ocelaris
12 years ago

Hi, I just got my first batch of Garlic from

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/pdfarms.html

I have 6 varieties, and have read up quite a bit. I'm very excited as I love garlic, especially good varieties.

I have a very limited space in NYC, I have really great raised bed soil I've worked on for 3 years now with compost/mulch/topsoil, but it's only a 5x12'. I figure I can do 6"-8" spacing and get about 80 plants in there. But I'd like to plant something else later, namely corn towards the end of the garlic cycle. The bed is drip irrigated and everything, and corn needs it pretty warm, so I figure we could start the corn early june and half way through pull the Garlic. Does this sound feasible? Or am I going to make a huge mess pulling up the garlic? Do you just pull it up by it's leaves? The soil is extremely loose, so I'm hoping I don't disturb the corn too much.

I'm going to wait a week or two as it seems you don't want the garlic to sprout too much before the first frost. I just planted a cover crop in our other 3 beds, and I'm going to use hardwood mulch (if I can't find straw) over the garlic beds once they're planted and watered in.

Thanks, Bill

Comments (2)

Sponsored