Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibarok

Garlics planted for 2013-2014 growing season

ibarok
10 years ago

Just finished planting my garlics for the 2013-2014 season. This will be my third year planting 'gourmet' garlic. :)

Just an FYI for zone 8 gardeners out there.

Varieties that performed well last year:(Zone 8)
1.Krasnodar Red
2.Thai Fire
3.Shantung Purple
4. Ontario Purple Trillium

The following did NOT perform well as I expected, so I just planted a limited quantity of bulbs each this season:
1.Wild Bluff
2.Skuri
3.Pskem
4.Klaver
5.Bai Pai Suan
6.Carpathian
7.Music
8.Spanish Roja
Last year I planted the garlics on Sept15.

Comments (43)

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lining them up :)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

If the weather holds as predicted, I hope to get my garlic in this week as well. Varieties:
    Bogatyr
    Carpati
    Estonian Red
    Georgian Fire
    Kettle River Giant
    Korean Mad Dog
    Martin's Heirloom
    Persian Star
    Pskem
    Purple Cauldron
    Purple Italian
    Ron's Single Center (a.k.a. Trueheart)
    Simoneti
    Spanish Roja
    Transylvanian

Also some bulbils which I hope will be Special Idaho, an heirloom garlic I lost during the 2012 Midwest aster yellows outbreak. It was one of my two favorite garlics (along with Ron's).

Other alliums which will be Fall planted are Pearlzweibel (Pearl onion), two heirloom shallots, 5 heirloom walking onions, and Allium moly. The A. moly is an ornamental allium which will be tested for its performance under garden cultivation, and for its edible qualities... the flowers are delicious, I'll be testing the bulbs for use as pearl onions.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Haven't planted so much as a clove yet, but got out and started to prep the soil yesterday. Will try to get the softnecks in today &/or tomorrow and the hardy har hars towards the end of next month.

Have grown as many as seven varieties at one time, but think it is better for me to concentrate on four or five varieties that I have a market for and which do the best in my climate.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zeedman, that is an impressive list of garlic!

Anyway, Thai fire is already sprouting, as well as Ontario purple trillium and Shantung purple.

Pic is of Thai Fire taken just this morning.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Gee !! I just planted some today.
    I bought the seeds from farmers market. They were really very nice n big n tasty. So I figure they must have bene grown locally too. So , when should I expect to harvest them (haha).
    I have yet to transplant my onions from pots to bed. We have beautiful ONION weather.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two weeks after planting. They grow fast! Then goes into 'hibernation' during the winter.
    Pic is of Thai fire (Turban/Asiatic)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Report:

I planted my garligs on Sept. 28. Today I noticed some of them poking out. That's been about two weeks. It has been rainy and cool all along. But the timing seems to be right. Thanks to Mark(madroneb) We have a month to our first frost.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Planted some the same time as you, seysonn, and when I went out a couple of days ago they were starting to come up, too! Let the weeding begin.

• skeip
    10 years ago

Got mine in late this year, and believe me I was nervous. Ground was so dry it was impossible to dig, three days of rain and then one clear, my day to plant. The soil moisture was perfect for planting, and the next two days it rained. Over the years I have grown, evaluated and eliminated many varieties. I am down to:

German Extra Hardy
    Russian Giant
    Asian Tempest
    Leningrad
    Schumacher
    Up North

The last two came to me from friends with no known history, only a bit of provenance. All have been selected for their performance, flavor and storage length. In my cellar, I can have fresh garlic until Mid April.

Steve

• bananastand
    10 years ago

Mine are in the ground- here's what I planted:

Spanish Roja
    Chesnok Red
    Silver Rose
    Vietnamese Red

I did a taste test of each-- by far the Vietnamese was the best to eat raw-- much milder and smoother than the rest. But I'm sure mostly garlic gets cooked! Just was fun to try them.

Now hoping that the week of hard freeze coming up here in Wisconsin doesn't sabotage them. They're heavily mulched under straw.

10 years ago

"Now hoping that the week of hard freeze coming up here in Wisconsin doesn't sabotage them."

Should be no problem. It is usually the frost heave, not the freezing, that kills them. I went out in November with a cordless drill & auger bit one year, to dig through the frost & plant in the holes. I planted a little deeper than normal, but the garlic next year was just as good as when planted earlier. Planted deep (in well drained soil) and mulched heavily, they should do well.

Got all mine in too, 450 total; my job was nice enough to give me a day off, and I finished up just before the rains came in.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Krasnodar Red double clove. Guess I'll just leave them as is.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I think it's OK to have lots of cloves together as long as there's enough space for bulbs to form and room for leaves to get sun.

I left in some entire cloves from last year so they can become clumps of bulbs. They won't be as big as singular planted cloves, but should still reach a decent size.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Back in PNW ( Oregan, Washington) It has bee freaking cold. Some places it is down to teens.
    Will the garlics be affected by this weather? Probably the ground in beds is solid frozen to a good depth where the roots are. This, dry cold, is worse than snow. Next week it is going to get back to normal.

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I find that if garlic is well mulched with leave, straw, or whatever you have that is biodegradable, it will keep the garlic happy, and they should emerge with no problem which usually happens by around mid March around here.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't see how mulching can be effective when the temps have been under freezing for days and the ground is solidly frozen.
    Beside mine have already tops of about 6". But from what I gather and what ZEEDMAN said, it should be ok.
    Now the temps are back to normal. Day highs have climbed above freezing mark. I drink to that.

• cozy
    10 years ago

Everyday I seem to do something stupid.

Every couple of years I seem to bury myself deep for a season.

Third year growing garlic but only the second playing with different cultivars. Each stake = a different garlic ... and this is most of Garlic Patch #1 ;)

{{gwi:367389}}

The rain continues here so have been unable to finish planting ... but should easily end up trialing better than 110.

Haven't been back to Garlic Patch #2 yet due to the rains but have 2 rows planted in the upper bed ...

{{gwi:367390}}

"Let the weeding begin" indeed ... open to tips/suggestions!

Just an experiment ... that has probably already gotten out of hand :(

• opsitnick
    10 years ago

Wow; first I would plant the same cultivars 3 across. What if the center garlic matures first?
    As for weeds you should mulch, if not for freezing for weed control.
    Here in the PNW if you can't plant when it's raining, you may never get the garlic planted.

• cozy
    10 years ago

By rain, I mean 6" in the last 10 days ...a bit much for walking through GA red clay tilled 8" deep ;)

What kind of mulch? I'm thinking of pine needles and bark fines ... have a chunk of leaves but this is going to get into purchased stuff. Wheat straw tends to be seedy?

Planted thus far ( ranging from 2 bulbs totaling 9 cloves to 1 lb with 50-70 - still have some 50 lbs saved from this last season so rain = no opportunity for additional ground preparation. Today was mostly clear and I'll set more out tomorrow) =

Aglio Blanco
    Ajo Rojo
    Aktyubinsk
    Andidzhanski
    Assisi
    Azataza
    Basque
    Blanak
    Blossom
    Bogatyr
    Brown Saxon
    Burgundy
    Bzenec
    Carpathian
    Chaparsky
    Chets Italian
    Chinese Pink
    Chinese Purple
    Chopaka Mountain
    Chrysalis Purple
    Colorado Black
    Creole Red
    Dubna(Standard)
    DX-127
    Georgian Crystal
    Georgian Fire
    German Brown
    German Extra Hardy
    Giuseppe
    Godfather's Italian
    Ididared
    Inchelium Red
    Isarael
    Island Rocambole
    Island Star
    Killarney Red
    Korean Red
    Krasnador Red
    Krasnador White
    LK Mann
    Machashi
    Martin's Heirloom
    Merrifield
    Metechi
    Music
    Native Creole
    Nootka Rose
    Northe #3
    Novo Troitzk
    Okanogan Blue
    Oregon Blue
    Persian Star
    Phillips
    PI 493116
    Pioneer
    Placid Turban
    Polish Hardneck
    Pskem
    Purple Glazer
    Red Czar
    Red Grain
    Red Janice
    Red Rezan
    Red Toch
    Rogue River Red
    Rosewood
    Russian Giant
    Russian Red
    Shan Tung Purple
    Shatili
    Simoneti
    Skuri
    Skuri #2
    Spanish Roja
    Susanville
    Thai Purple
    Uzbek
    Vekak
    Walla Walla
    Xian

• johnnp
    10 years ago

I tend to plant early, 9-27. Cozy, you seem to be worse than me. I planted around 14,000 cloves.
    Blossom
    Thai fire
    Thai purple
    Tzan
    Lotus
    Red Janice
    I red
    Agio rossa
    Italian lociano
    Island star
    Simonetti
    Chinese purple
    Uzbek turban
    Ajo rojo
    Morado gigante
    Greek acropolis
    Lorz Italian
    Mexican red silver
    Russian inferno
    Red toch
    Korean mountain
    Cuban purple
    Creole red
    Morracan creole
    Burgundy
    Native creole
    Pescadaro red
    Spanish benette
    Thermadrone
    Transylvania
    Madrid
    Lochanto
    Elephant

Picture of several rows mulched with pine needles which do ok. I mulch to prevent weeds.

10 years ago

Wow, I think I hurt my neck. The garlic fumes must be getting strong, last thing I remember was seeing garlic rows leading up into the sky... ;-)

Cozy & Johnnp, nice lists. I take it that you are garlic farmers? "Chrysalis Purple" is on my 'want' list, I would be interested in a trade if it does well.

• johnnp
    10 years ago

Zeedman, if you mean Chinese purple, would be ok with a trade. Should do well, did ok last year. Will not be ready till middle to end of June. Building up my seed stock but would be willing to trade. Let me know what you have. I am sure we could work out something to our mutual benefit. Johnnp

• cozy
    10 years ago

"Cozy & Johnnp, nice lists. I take it that you are garlic farmers?"

Not me .. just found out that the deer and rabbits will let it be ... perhaps just getting even with them ;)

I think that he really meant Chrysalis Purple ...

{{gwi:367391}}

And it is in the ground ...looks like some good trades may be possible ;) Current planted list is at 97 and = ...

Aglio Blanco
    Ajo Rojo
    Aktyubinsk
    Andidzhanski
    Assisi
    Azataza
    Basque
    Bavarian
    Blanak
    Blossom
    Bogatyr
    Brown Saxon
    Burgundy
    Bzenec
    Carpathian
    Chaparsky
    Chets Italian
    Chengdu
    China Stripe
    Chinese Pink
    Chinese Purple
    Chopaka Mountain
    Chrysalis Purple
    Colorado Black
    Creole Red
    Dubna(Standard)
    DX-127
    Ferganskij
    Georgian Crystal
    Georgian Fire
    German Brown
    German Extra Hardy
    German Red
    Giuseppe
    Godfather's Italian
    Ididared
    Inchelium Red
    Isarael
    Island Rocambole
    Island Star
    Khabar
    Killarney Red
    Korean Red
    Krasnador Red
    Krasnador White
    Kuty
    LK Mann
    Machashi
    Maiskij
    Martin's
    Merrifield
    Metechi
    Mexican Red Silver
    Mild French
    Music
    Native Creole
    Nootka Rose
    Northe
    Northe #3
    Novo Troitzk
    Okanogan Blue
    Oregon Blue
    Penasco Blue
    Persian Star
    Phillips
    PI 493116
    Pioneer
    Placid Turban
    Polish Hardneck
    Portuguese Early
    Pskem
    Purple Glazer
    Red Czar
    Red Grain
    Red Janice
    Red Rezan
    Red Toch
    Rogue River Red
    Rose du Var
    Rosewood
    Russian Giant
    Russian Red
    Shan Tung Purple
    Shatili
    Sicilian Silver
    Simoneti
    Skuri
    Skuri #2
    Spanish Roja
    Susanville
    Thai Purple
    Thermadrone
    Uzbek
    Vekak
    Walla Walla
    Yugoslavian
    Xian

More cometh soon.

• johnnp
    10 years ago

"Cozy & Johnnp, nice lists. I take it that you are garlic farmers?" No, sell some at local farmers markets to cover expenses. Hobby that exploded!!! Cozy, great list didn't notice the Chrysalis Purple Have not heard of it before. In fact you have several varieties I am not familiar with. Cannot grow many of the varieties you do this far south. I am still experimenting. Keep in touch.

• cozy
    10 years ago

"Cannot grow many of the varieties you do this far south. I am still experimenting."

Me too - I have not grown most of them yet either ;) Planting is one thing, harvesting another. Part of this experiment is seeing what will work here vs what is considered to work here.

Added Early Italian, Kettle River Giant and Elephant to the ground today ( all saved from last year) ... making it 100 so far! Pretty much down to 12 more and then I can back up to weeding and mulching ( appreciate the confirmation of pine needles working).

Got to thinking about the garlic farm and farmers market comments as I surely can not keep growing, multiplying, trialing more each year. Any tips/thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Patch 2 pic ... was too muddy and I'll probably regret it ... but 2 more inches of rain is forecast for the night and it has set in.

{{gwi:367393}}

• johnnp
    10 years ago

Sounds like I am one step ahead of you. 3 years ago started to grow large amounts, if I recall correctly I planted around 6,000 cloves, 54 varieties. Down to 33 varieties,14.000 cloves. Several of those I probably need to discontinue but I want them to do well and it is hard to give up. Still trying to establish what ones more consistent trying to get down to 20. Did ok at farmers market, its fun interacting with folks, no competition. Next summer going into larger markets, from what others tell me no one sells garlic in the markets. Do not know about your area, my wife and I enjoy the interaction with customers and other vendors, it is only 1/2 day once a week. We only did it for 8 weeks. I keep the largest bulbs for seed and sell the food grade. Bulbs 1 1/4 inch and smaller I roast and freeze for cooking. Pine needles work for me, a little work but it is free. They work well, some garlic "gurus" don't advise it but I am not paying for mulch. I am experimenting with growing sunn hemp and sorghum-sudan grass before planting to use as a mulch. I want to cut down on amount of pine needles using, I don't want to rob the trees of all of their nutrition. Best to apply before garlic sprouts or should I say easier. If I can share any other info, ask!!! John

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

Lost my entire crop in the aster yellows outbreak of 2012. Have been rebuilding by acquiring and planting bulbils of varieties, which is a long term proposition but a safer strategy for me. With the increasing garlic disease issues out there I no longer trust the acquisition of untested or uncertified cloved planting stock. My soil is clean, my inventory is clean, and I have become obsessed about keeping things that way.

Another reason I do not really mind growing from bulbils is that I found it takes around five years for a newly acquired variety to properly acclimate to my local growing conditions and soil type, and five years is plenty time to grow out a full size cloved bulb from a bulbil. I have also found that acclimation occurs a bit faster when growing from bulbils. Those little plants know how to adapt quickly compared to cloves from mature bulbs.

I now have several strategies set up to hopefully protect myself from a similar calamity ever happening again. New acquisitions are grown in isolation off-site until proven safe, I have learned how to preserve the viability of bulbils long term so I can keep an inventory for emergency planting as a backup, and I have an arrangement with another grower a hundred miles from me who grows small amounts of my varieties for me for backup stock.

My garlic planting season starts the second half of October and goes until planting is completed or weather conditions stop me. Planting at this time carries a slight risk from an early winter occurring, but I never, ever, want any of my stock growing above ground before winter freeze up, all I want is root development and a developing shoot that does not penetrate the soil surface. This gives me the best garlic. This year I planted approximately 1000 cloves, 1000 second year rounds, and 12,000 bulbils. At least I am on my way back, but still have a couple years to go to reach my goal of planting 25,000 cloves.

At time of writing it is minus14 degrees F outside and the garlic beds are all safely nestled under a 14 inch blanket of snow. For the first time in two years I am happy and excited about my garlic and looking forward to what the next season will bring. :-)

I find an increasingly annoying garlic growing issue to be the confusion due to duplicate names for the same varieties out there in the garlic world. It is for just this reason I have what may turn out to be duplicates on my list because they were acquired from different sources and were named differently. I feel my only realistic option is to treat them as different varieties until proven otherwise. The main example I have is German Extra Hardy, which is also known as German White, Northern White, and German Stiffneck.

It is all experimental to me right now, I have been willingly accepting anything that has been offered to me. Some types/varieties I have are not really meant for my area but it will be interesting to see how they do. My thanks to the generous folks who have helped me out by growing out and sending bulbils, I would not be where I am without their kindness and I hope to repay them some day or at least pay it forward.

I lost many varieties that I have yet to reacquire, most of them were not that critical to me so it does not matter too much. What I really miss is my rocambole collection, many of which I have yet to reacquire. If anyone wants to trade bulbils next year, lets talk. I will not have a lot of varieties available yet, but what I have will be top notch quality and clean.

Armenian Red
    Asian Tempest
    Assissi
    Bai Pi Suan
    Bavarian
    Belarus
    Blanak
    Carpathian
    Castro Red
    Choparsky
    Colorado Black
    Estonian Red
    Georgian Fire
    German Brown
    German Extra Hardy
    German Red
    German White
    Inchellium Red
    Japanese
    Korean Hot
    Martins Heirloom
    Metechi
    Montana Giant
    Northern White
    Ontario Giant
    Polish Hardneck
    Pyong Vang
    Red Grain
    Russian Inferno
    Russian Red
    Siberian
    Spanish Morado
    Spanish Roja
    Spanish Roja Strain #2
    Transylvanian
    Xian
    Unknown Purple Stripe (local feral)

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome list of garlic there cozy and johnnp!!!

• cozy
    10 years ago

A little update ... Patch #1

{{gwi:367394}}

Some growth is going on ;)

Ended up with 114 different cultivars planted ... still have 5 that I'll try to retain.

{{gwi:367395}}

Willing to save ye some bulbils soilent.

10 years ago

That's one beautiful garlic patch. Oh, to have enough land to do such a project... you are truly fortunate. I figure I'll end up with maybe 30 that I'll grow every year - then stop.

" With the increasing garlic disease issues out there I no longer trust the acquisition of untested or uncertified cloved planting stock." (Soilent_green)

I feel the same way, although my precautions have not been as extensive as yours. Garlic Bloat Nematode continues to spread. I've tried to rebuild my collection with garlic from outside infected areas, and from those with established collections... but the risk of infection will only grow as garlic is traded across the country. If all the additional stock I bring in this year is good, I won't risk bringing in any new stock from that point on.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice garlic pics there, cozy!
    Here's an update on how my Thai Fire is doing. Looked like they had a 'growth spurt' these past couple of weeks!(Pic taken this afternoon.)

• cozy
    10 years ago

It has been almost a month and I never did get them mulched.

Some of the early leaves ( mainly turbans) are showing the fact that they did see 4 degrees but overall, it's still interesting.

{{gwi:367396}}

• stevelau1911
    10 years ago

I've found that garlic will often be smothered by the fall leaves applied from teh fall, and may just never come up, or rot away if I don't pull off those layer of leaves to allow them to get sunlight.

Here's a picture showing them a day after pulling away the leaves. Of course they will green up in 2-3 days.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scapes are definitely poking out! Yay!
    (Ontario Purple Trillium)
    Scapes are also out on my Pskems.

10 years ago

"... I have learned how to preserve the viability of bulbils long term so I can keep an inventory for emergency planting as a backup..."

Re-reading this thread, I realized that I initially missed the significance of that comment. It's not my fault, all those garlic lists made me dizzy. ;-) Soilent_green, if you are still out there, could you provide more detail on your system of long-term bulbil preservation? That's something I want to emulate with my own collection.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Early Italian Purple and German Red are showing scapes here, too!

• cozy
    10 years ago

"Re-reading this thread, I realized that I initially missed the significance of that comment."

As did I and would appreciate the info.

Got to play a bit today before the rain set in ... Patch #1 is starting to look more like a corn patch ;)

{{gwi:367398}}

{{gwi:367400}}

Patch #2 is trying to catch up ...

{{gwi:367402}}

{{gwi:367403}}

Patch #2 is limited to the first 2 beds from the left ... next bed over is onions and then tater patch #2.

Will most likely never do this again ... but, for now, it seems pretty .... and keeps me busy.

• johnnp
    10 years ago

Hi cozy, here are pics. A little ahead of you.
    Already have scapes. Will be digging up in 4 to 6 weeks.
    Everything looks good. Johnnp

• ibarok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scapes starting to curl. Pic taken this afternoon. (Ontario Purple Trillium-rocambole)

• cozy
    10 years ago

All is looking GOOD - Congrats!!!

No scapes here yet ... but the yellow ( of which I was starting to get concerned about) has disappeared!

{{gwi:367404}}

Though I said that I may never do this again, I have to admit that I have been stewing on the 8 acres of sandy bottom land behind the house and pondering what those rows might look like ....

{{gwi:367405}}

Have to admit that I am a fickle one .... and a chunk depends upon which way the winds blow.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

With all you Southerners' garlic showing scapes, I am just pleased enough to find that all the garlic varieties I planted last fall are all just showing up, and in nice uniform stands too. Actually some of them are starting to stretch already even up here in the North Country Fair. There is certainly a difference in growth habits, too.

• ibarok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Time to eat some yummy treats! :)

9 years ago

Soilent_green, I see you posted on the "rounds" thread - welcome back!

If you are still out there, could you give more specifics on the bulbil storage techniques you referred to earlier in this thread? I am letting at least one scape from every hard neck variety mature, and would like to keep the bulbils as backups in case the clove-planted crop for a particular variety is lost due to weather or disease. Not like that ever happens. ;-)