Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltongardener

Help identifying garlic

hamiltongardener
15 years ago

I planted my original garlic cloves from bulbs I bought at the local grocery store. I don't know what kind they were but I chose them because they were grown in my local climate; grown in Ontario.

I read that most garlic grown commercially in Ontario is Music garlic, but I have looked at pictures and descriptions online and I'm convinced it isn't Music.

The garlic does not grow scapes. It is a very assymetrical, lop-sided bulb with very fat cloves bulging out at odd angles. The bulbs are pure white, although when they were freshly pulled I saw a slight purple-red streak on the necks of a couple of the smaller bulbs. That may have something to do with maturity though, since it was not on the medium or large bulbs.

It's not important that I know the identity of the garlic. I have been saving the cloves and planting them only for our own use every year but I'm curious.

If any of you experts out there know of a type of garlic grown in the Ontario climate that matches the description, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored