Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundacks

looking for shallot bulbs

sundacks
16 years ago

Hi All,

I'd like to plant shallot bulbs this fall, but I can't find a source to buy them. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

There are a number of mail order houses that carry shallot sets. Some of them are likely sold out already for the fall season. You can try Johnny's Selected Seeds, Fedco or John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds. There are many, many others I'm sure.

Another option is to buy them at your organic grocer, if you have one near by. That's where I got mine.

• sundacks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The grocer idea is a good one. Would you believe Johnny's, Scheepers and fedco are all sold out! (Actually, Fedco doesn't ship shallot bulbs in the fall.)

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

Sundacks, I guess I'm not surprised. I had a difficult time finding garlic last year in August because I waited too long. I wound up having to order from The Garlic Store which was very expensive so I couldn't afford to get all I wanted. Then a gardening bud here at the forums came through for me.

I'm fortunate to have an organic grocer that sells locally grown garlic, Dutch yellow & French red shallots. Though there's not much variety in the garlic. If you have such a place, that's the way to go.

Otherwise, you might try the link below. I saw a couple of places there and they didn't indicate that they were out.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy shallots

• korney19
    16 years ago

Try the link below for onions, garlic & shallots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Valley onions, shallots, garlic, potatoes

• sundacks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link to Peaceful Valley! I somehow missed them.
    Korney19, it amazes me that you are in zone 6 in Buffalo and I am in zone 3 in the Adirondacks. Guess the lake really keeps things warm for you.

• korney19
    16 years ago

You're welcome.

A few miles out from here may actually be a zone 5... The lake usually freezes over but some years it takes til February to happen. They put an "ice boom" in to block dangerous ice from damaging power plants, etc, when the lake reaches a certain temp (maybe 36 degrees?) and on occasion there are years that it never gets in or don't bother putting it in because of a warm year. Unfortunately, all ice from Detroit thru OH & PA has to flow thru Buffalo to the Niagara River & over the Falls so sometimes it doesn't warm up in the spring as soon as other places. But generally, along the coast and a little ways inward, we are a zone 6, especially with the heavy population areas and buildings & industry and all.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I've never ordered from Peaceful Valley because their S&H is pretty steep.

Shipping from the west coast cost about the same as the price per lb of the shallots...unless you order several lbs.

I paid 4.00$ lb for my French red and Dutch yellow shallots locally.

Sundacks, if you can't find shallots at the organic grocer/farmer/etc, mail me and I'll get shallots for you and send them to you for the cost of S&H.

• korney19
    16 years ago

I haven't ordered anything from Peaceful Valley in a couple years now, but they just rolled back their shipping costs to make it more affordable for those in the East. Plus you may be able to get them to ship USPS Priority Mail ($4.66 for 1 pound, $6.96 for 2 lbs.) I think they also add a handling charge to orders to cover shipping & packaging materials (15%) but maybe they can waive it if they use USPS boxes, I don't know...

You may also want to try Gurney's, they often have coupons (like $25 off orders over $25 to $50.) I bought shallots from them a few years ago that way, but have since bought other shallots locally. Another place is Pinetree Garden Seeds, which only charges $2.95 per order of bulbs or plants, regardless of the size, but don't know if they sell shallots in the Fall, maybe just Spring. I bought shallots & raspberry plants from them about 5 years ago.

Sponsored