Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic seed stock pricing and planting shallots

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 17:53

Has anyone else noticed the significant jump in prices for garlic stock this year? I decided to order extra to hold over next year so that the price would not be a problem.

I know when to plant my garlic (Music variety). Can I plant the shallots that I held over because they were so tiny this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic seed stock pricing and planting shallots

OK, I just had to check out prices. I could not tell if they went up or not. Prices look the same as last year for the same garlic from the same farm, May be it is where I get them from did not raise? I did not check on the shipping.
As for the shallots, sorry I am no help on them.

Curt

o

I saw a big jump in garlic prices this year..although Bob in Texas has held at $16 and opened a small online market for many small growers that want to be seen.

I raised mine $1 and tacked on the fee I had to pay for accepting Paypal. I think I'm far more reasonable than the big boys who demand $18 and offer customer no-service. I don't know what kind of shallots you have but I'm planting my french grays around October 5th

o

Vendors at the local farmers market raised priced $1 this year, that was from $6 to $7 for garlic big enough to use for seed (not at nice as mine, though.)

o
RE: Holding garlic over a year

Please share your methods of keeping garlic for a year.

o

I store my garlic in a cool and dark place. By July when I harvest the new garlic, I notice some sprouting. I am going to try to hold some of that for planting but also will have enough from the July 2011 harvest for replanting.

o

My garlic this year was not big, compared to what I grew the year before in 2009. We still have some of that garlic left (harvested in July 2009). Can I plant that garlic instead of the garlic I harvested in July 2010 ?? The older garlic is much bigger and still looks healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here