Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unexpected garlic

Posted by bardamu RI 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 18:36

So, in the spring I planted some sprouting kitchen garlic in the veggie garden. They seemed to take to the ground but a month later the green shoots died. I forgot about the bulbs and planted other things. Now in September in between some basil the garlic shoots are back and growing. But it's not good timing, is it? Not sure what to do about it as everything else is going to be harvested.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unexpected garlic

If it were me I'd pull it up and plant new garlic cloves in October. The chances of it making a decent sized bulb next year is slim.

Rodney

o

Let 'em grow until next year and see what you can harvest. Jerk the basil and dry it - let the garlic grow without further interference.

I always plant my garlic in the fall...

hortster

o

So, in the spring I planted some sprouting kitchen garlic in the veggie garden.

Roughly how many ? It appears that you missed to harvest them.
You can use them as green garlic in cooking, as needed. No need to dig them all up at once.

Obviously, they are too early as fall plant and perhaps they are in clumps. So try to plant fresh seeds later as fall planting for next year's harvest.

o

I leave some garlic plants over another winter sometimes, and get 6 whole bulbs from each plant the second summer. So I'd wait on the plants till next year and see what happens. It's worth the experiment. If it were my garden, I'd dig one up now, out of curiosity.

o

Technically, each good clove will sprout and become a plant of its ow. So, if leave a whole garlinc in ground, first they will open up, so their tips are a distance apart from each other but within a circle an inch or inch and a half. So you will get them grow in a clump, all trying to compete for food in that small area. The outcome will be that you are going to get several small garlic, an probably they are going to be round , like a small onion, with no cloves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here