Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerating

Posted by kenyadenola z8b CA, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 20:49

I have never refrigerated my garlic prior to planting, but this will be my first year planting hardnecks and I read that garlic needs to have a chill period in order to bulb proprerly, this is all new to me. Out here in California it sometimes gets in the 40's but only at night and that is not always reliable.

Do I in fact need to refrigerate? Because if I do, this will set back my planting daate considerably. Or will I be okay just putting them i the ground and letting the winter temps do the work. I have had reliable crops in the past using softnecks, but I know the two are two different beast.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerating

I'm not sure about all hardnecks, but rocambole requires a period of 6-8 weeks with a maximum temp of 32-50F (with an average of about 40F) in order to make a good bulb. If it is too warm, a single-clove bulb the shape of a pearl onion often develops. Okay for eating, but not for market.

Good luck.
-Nick

o
RE: Refrigerating

I read last night before I got your post that 32 to 50F was a good temp and we definatley get in the 50's so that was a great relief, and explains why I have had good garlic. It seems that most garlic needs the chill time, hence the fact that it is a bulb, and since we do at least get reliable temps into the 50's I am very happy and will start planting today!!

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here