Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Planting Question, NEW to garlic growing

rjinga
16 years ago

I have some very nice bulbs that I got from the farmers market (not sure if they are locally grown or not, but they are a good size and very flavorful) so I plan to use for planting. Recently (within the past month) I laid out a lasagna bed in part of my garden spot (where tomatoes had grown previously) The reason for the lasagna was a weed problem...the soil was already pretty good.

I used newspaper layers, then grass clippings, then old rotted hay.

My question is:

When it's time to plant (October?) it's possible that the bed will have shrunk down some...do I move the lasagna material aside and plant into the soil? since I dont really know how deep the cloves need to be planted....OR should I just dig "holes" in the bed and fill it in with dirt and not disturb the lasagna layers?

It's a first to both of these ventures. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• pepbob1
    16 years ago

Interesting questions, as i was going to try planting my garlic in a modified "Lasgna bed" this fall also. this is only my second year growing garlic so i'll be interested in hearing what folks have to say on this also. i was going to post a very similair question myself.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

Another sophomore here, too. I'll be planting a lot of garlic this year. My thought was to start planting this weekend and just keep going until I'd planted it all. But am I jumping the gun? Should I wait another month? Should garlic be planted after first frost? I got my garlic orders this week. I assumed that they don't ship them until planting time.

• korney19
    16 years ago

Lilacs, from all the problems you've had this year, I think before planting your garlic, the first thing(s) I would do would be get rid of some shade and get a truckload of compost delivered to ammend your soil. And get a professional soil test done. They will also give you recommendations what to add based on the results.

I plant my garlic in October, anywhere between Columbus Day & Halloween should be fine.

Mark

• penguingardener
    16 years ago

I echo what Mark is saying. I'm actually surprised I received my garlic order already, I got mine in October last year and I'm not ready to pull out my current plants.

What I'm thinking is after I pull out my plants, I'll dig up some of the existing soil (put it aside), then empty out my compost tumbler into the soil, wait a week or 2 then plant the garlic.

Part of this is because my tumbler just broke and I need to empty it out so my husband can work on it. I'm not too worried about unfinished compost at this point. I haven't put anything in it in a week and the last thing I put in was hay.

Anyway, based on this plan, my timing should have the garlic in sometime in October.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I looked up planting garlic online, and the advice was to plant it 4-6 weeks before the first hard freeze. Here in Colorado, that's about now. First frost can be any time soon. First hard freeze is about the middle of October. So if I start this weekend, I figure I'm doing good.

• garliclady
    16 years ago

riinga Planting in Mid october till Christmas is fine where you are. Here in NC we start in Mid october and because we plant so much we hope to be finished by Thanksgiving. For other planting tips for the southeast go to the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Planting guide for the southeast

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I didn't get around to planting some of my garlic last year till January and they did fine. So long as the ground isn't frozen it's OK to plant.

I once read somewhere that the rule of thumb in planting garlic is to plant on the winter solstice. (Dec 21) and harvest on the summer solstice. (June 21)

• rjinga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well it's done...I planted about 100 bulbs all around my flower beds, garden...anywhere I had free dirt space :) They are all the same variety, of which I have no idea...but they came from the farmers market nearby...so I can only hope that they are worthwhile...they sure tasted good to me...and the bulbs? cloves? were all very good sized.

I discovered as I was digging in one of my front flower beds plopping down cloves here there and everywhere (5-6 inches apart), it is healthier than I thought...I pulled up a plant that had a BIG OLE fat worm attached to it...it looked like a baby snake!! that is a great thing to see in your dirt....Hope it doesn't eat my garlic bulbs ;)

thanks for the responses...I'll be excited to see what comes. I'll be one of those eager posters who you will hear from again in the spring, when I have garlic growing everywhere!!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert