Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Newbie to Onions and Garlic

PunkRotten
12 years ago

Hi,

So I have an interest in planting onions and garlic. So far I have some scallions in the ground that I planted in spring. Occasionally I have clipped some of the green leaves and used it. I also planted some garlic chives and parade green onions. I am planning on planting some garlic this fall. Here are my questions:

1. When planting onions and garlic should you plant in bunches or spread out? Right now I have them spread out one by one.

2. Being in Zone 9 what is the best type and best time to plant garlic?

3. What is the best growing conditions for them?

4. When is the best time to harvest?

5. Any pests I have to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)

• GarlicFiend
    12 years ago

I'll try and help where I can.

Garlic and onions are planted apart, not in bunches. Perhaps you're thinking of garlic chives for bunches. I plant my garlic cloves 4 inches apart with 9 inches between rows. Onions are closer to 6 inches and 12 inch rows.

I do not know about zone 9, sorry.

Garlic originated in the mountains of Afghanistan, Siberia and western China. It can grow in some of the worst conditions in the world. That doesn't mean it will thrive in those, however. You have so see the variety you are planting. If you are planting hardneck garlics in zone 9, you will probably weep at the results. They need the harsh winters of the north. You should try softnecks. Garlic likes fertile soil that is VERY well drained. It also cannot abide competition from weeds or other plants. I use landscape cloth and punch holes in it for my cloves. You can also mulch heavily after the first shafts appear.

Harvest is an art as much as a science. In Zone 5B I harvest starting the last week of June through the end of July. Each variety comes to fruition at a different time. It will depend on your variety when to harvest, but the tip will be when only 4-6 leaves remain green.

Mold is a concern as well as some pests, but garlic is really tough in general. I recommend that you find a copy of Ron Engeland's "Growing Great Garlic" and read it. It is a fascinating read and will teach you so much.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When you say garlic doesn't compete well, how far apart should it be from other plants? Like planting it near a tomato plant, would that really affect the garlic?

• GarlicFiend
    12 years ago

By competing well, I mean the plants next to it. These can be weeds, or other garlic, or other plants. The point is to think of the roots and the leaves. The leaves should have nothing blocking them, like another plant. Each plant should get the maximum amount of sunlight that your location provides. If you are planting other things such that they cast shadows on each other, that's too close.

Secondly, think of the root space. The roots of a head of garlic are wider than the head itself, so if you plant too closely the roots will have to compete for nutrients and moisture. Remember, garlic has a natural habitat of poor soil with long periods of dry. The roots are long.

I plant rows that are composed of cloves at 4 inch intervals; the rows are 9-1o inches apart.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH