Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which one is more tolorent of less sun, garlic, onion, or leek?

Posted by guavalane So Cal 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 1:14

Next to the camellia hedge I grew a row of sweet potatoes. They are in the shade of the hedge for most part of the day, so they are only doing OK, nothing like in the full sun. It's time to harvest the SP now, and I would love to plant some sort of alliums, my new found love. Which one can tolerate more shade, garlic, onion, or leek?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which one is more tolorent of less sun, garlic, onion, or lee

They all love sun, but garlic and onions will give pathetic bulbs if planted in shade. Leeks at least don't need peeling, so even if they're dinky you can dice them up and use them. Same for true bunching onions.

o

Promethean, thank you for the suggestion. It totally makes sense to go with leeks! I had saved some seeds but didn't started the seedlings until 3 days ago. Do you think it'll be ready to plant by the end of November? Will it be too late in So Cal(Pasadena)? Thank you again for your insight. I believe you also answered my seed collecting question a while back.
Photobucket

o

It's about the right time to start onions from seed and put garlic in the ground. I only get huge leeks from plants in their second season, but I guess it depends on the type of leek. Mine are American Flag, which is a long season 'overwintering' leek.

If your leeks end up dinky, you can cut off their water in the late spring and they'll die back to a small bulb, which can be planted in the fall to produce a huge leek next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here