Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant hardneck garlic?

Posted by nygardener z5-6 New York (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 5:04

I was lulled by the long Indian Summer into waiting to put my garlic in the ground. Is it a waste of time at this point? Here's the forecast:

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant hardneck garlic?

Go for it! You still have time...so long as the ground isn't frozen.

o

I just finished planting mine here this afternoon... I still have some elephant cloves that I will find some room for somewhere. As long as the ground isn't frozen you should be fine.

o

Excellent. (rubs hands together greedily)

o

Excellent. (rubs hands together greedily)

o

hi all here in e tn iv planted till jan just to see how they would do oct to jan,, not that much dif. later butch

o

no, i planted mine yesterday.

columbus day is the day to plant, supposedly to allow root growth to anchor the clove against heaving as the ground freezes and thaws. i was told by a couple of vermonters last month that they planted in mid december and had no problems. they are 1/2 up the state so if they did that i really question this columbus day thing.

tom

o

I just planted mine and do not know if it requires immediate watering. My husband says no, lets be cautious, I say, everything needs water after you plant it. What should we do? thanks!!

o

It needs moist, not wet, conditions to sprout. I say don't water it. The next rain will be plenty.

o

I've never watered when planting. I think it will be more important to water next spring unless you get sufficient moisture. Garlic knows when to sprout and since you're in Vermont, you'll no doubt have a snow cover.

Hubby is right. Ouch, that hurts to say, LOL!

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here