Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic has Sprouted

Posted by iamlook 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 8:57

I have grown garlic in Minnesota before but have never seen such a prolonged summer/fall- I planted it too soon and now have six inch green sprouts.
It has yet to freeze here (Oct 16,2011).

Can anybody tell me what I can expect? Do I need to do something to save this planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic has Sprouted

You will probably be just fine as long as long as the bed is well-mulched. You will probably get some freeze-browning on the leaves but that's not going to kill the plant. Here in New England I've grown various alliums that had leaves of 3" to over a foot tall by the time real freezing weather hit, and with a good leaf mulch they all survived through to spring and grew very well.

o
RE: Garlic has Sprouted

I did the same thing in MN last year as well. Had 6" to 8" tops before we really got a good freeze last year.

No issues whatsoever. 100% germination and they all made it through the winter just fine. Over 100 bulbs.

softneck and hardneck too - they were both great. I mulched about 4" to 5" of leaves and they were easily through the top of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here