Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wcthomas_gw

Great garlic source

wcthomas
17 years ago

This year I bought some Killarney Red and Inchelium Red from Filaree Farms and was delighted with the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch bulbs. But then last week I went to a local "garlic gathering" fair here in New Joisy and wow! - bigger bulbs at half the price! I bought some more Inchelium Red pushing 3", along with some Music, and Romanian Red at over 2 1/2", and at prices of only $7-10/lb. Plus they are grown locally, and there were many other varieties available.

From now on I'll shop at the local fairs & festivals, and use the internet only if I can't find a desired variety.

Tom

Comments (10)

• edgman
    17 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has a list of when these fairs are. I know there is one in MD and would like to know the time and dates even the ones in NJ and PA. Tom, when and where was this fair you attended? If antone else can give me any dates I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks
    Tom R
    edgman

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Edgman,

This fair, billed as a "garlic gathering - two stinking days of fun", was last weekend (Oct 7 & 8) in Lafayette, NJ (northwest). I found it by searching "garlic festival" on Yahoo. There is another one scheduled for Oct 22 in Morristown, NJ (see http://garliconline.com/). You can also search the archives of this forum.

There is a big one every September in Saugerties, NY (see http://www.hvgf.org/).

Hope this helps!

Tom

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a list of festivals, but it certainly does not include all.

http://www.garlicseedfoundation.info/festivals.htm

Tom

• oregon_veg
    17 years ago

I wonder though. Is it organic? what are the growing methods?
    are we sure they are disease free? I have to ask myself these questions. I try to only buy from tried and true sources.
    Established farmers I know I can trust with a history of
    good quality products. JMO
    Tom

• edgman
    17 years ago

This remark is out of context but is everyone on this forum named "Tom".

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Toms ;-)

The garlic I purchased was sold by local farmers who had their own little booths at the fair. I did not ask if the garlic was organic, but they seemed willing, indeed anxious, to answer any questions from the shoppers. The garlic bulbs themselves look beautiful and were in baskets, so you could choose the bulbs you want. I don't think there is more risk buying from these folks than from the large farmers on the internet. These local farmers seemed to take a lot of pride in their farms and produce.

Tom

• edgman
    17 years ago

I also do not care if from where I get my garlic is certified 100% organic or not. I know a lot of growers who are not certified and I trust their products more than from someone I dont know who claims to be organic. To me organic just means someone who charges higher prices. Doesnt mean their product is cleaner or healthier. That's a proven fact by the government. Probably get some nasty responses about those remarks.
    If anyone gets near Wilkes-Barre, PA farmers market that runs from May through Thanksgiving there is a woman rightfully named "The Garlic Lady" who sells like 9 different types of garlic and their by-products such as dipping oils, etc. Too far for me to travel now by I really do miss her and her products.

Thanks for the info about the fairs. Really helpful.

Tom R.
    edgman

• sujewel
    17 years ago

wcthomas,

I had a great time at the garlic gathering! I'm SURE you saw me, I had the two huge dogs (Akitas). Bought tons of garlic - Music, Chesnok Red, Spanish Roja, etc. I'm actually regretting not buying more, but there is always next year.

edgman,
    You can purchase garlic online at thegarlicstore.com, but if you would prefer to go to a show of somesort, try localharvest.org. I believe they have a list of events.

Barbara
    aka not Tom

• wcthomas
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Barbara,

I do recall a lady with large dogs. If you are going to the gathering next Sunday in Morristown I'll probably see you there. I'm the tall guy with blond hair and a short white beard.

Nice link! I have bookmarked it.

Tom

• edgman
    17 years ago

Barbara

One of the places I stay away from and I posted a thread about them is "The Garlic Store". They were charging $18-20 dollars for 2-3 bulbs plus 8.50 shipping. I just had 3 bulbs (Music, Nooka Rosa, German x-tra hardy)for which I paid 3.50 shipped to me from Enyon garlic farms who sells on ebay and the shipping was just .85 cents. Search for edgman (no e before m)and you can see that posting I made about high prices and a lot of other people agreed with me about them and 1 or 2 others dealers. I will apologize if this is a different vendor than them. I found out a search on ebay turned up 5-6 big garlic vendors with good prices and yes they are reputable and some of them are certified organic. Thanks for your other help. Keep posting.

Tom R

edgman

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions