Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Spanish Roja

Posted by rersoap z6 Pittsburgh (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 11:36

I grew 4 types of garlic this year:music, georgia crystal, chisnok red and spanish roja. I am now replanting and all were pretty nice except for the spanish rojo which had started to rot already. I did everything pretty much the same with the four types so I am not sure what I did wrong? Anyone else have problems with the roja? Thanks for the help. rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Spanish Roja

Our spanish roja is the first to go bad . We try to plant it first. It doesn't keep for us as long as our other 14 varieties. Our chesnok Red and music are still fine and we harvest in June. We always lose some of our SR seed stock before planting so we hold back more than we want to plant

o

Thanks garlic lady. I may have to use up all of the spanish roja next year and plant a different variety or just stick with 3 kinds. I was surpised at the size of the georgia crystal cloves, they were huge compared to all of the others. I was a little disapointed as to how many bulbs I had to use to get the cloves I wanted (may be the other way around, I always forget which is the clove and which is the bulb.) Looking forward now to the summer scapes. Any suggestions for a replacement for the roja for next year? I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Thanks, rich

o

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 23:50

German Porcelain does well for me. However, large cloves and just a few per bulb. I also have an unnamed red stripe that does very well and runs around 9 cloves per head/bulb. Only one DW will use if she has a choice.

o

I have had Spanish Roja for years and never had the problem you described. When I dig it up, I first clean it thoroughly (spray with hose or dry brush) then hang it up immediately in the barn away from direct sunlight. It needs plenty of air circulation.

Good luck
Maryanne in WMass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here