Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Garlic Chives

Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 11:53

I read somewhere that it was good to cut down your garlic chives ever so often. This is a large variet that somewhat resembles monkey grass in size. I trimmed mine down really, there's probably not more than 3 inches of green left. Was this a bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Garlic Chives

I don't think that was a bad idea. I have garlic chives in the front of a perennial flower/herb bed. They have really spread. They have rhizomes like tiny iris plants. I have been trying to cut off the seed heads to keep mine from spreading so much. They are hard to pull out. Mine are as tall as monkey grass but not as thick.

Nancy

o

I have found them to be very invasive - taking over half of my culinary herb garden in 5 yrs. I dug most of them out 2 yrs. back, and they are coming up in great numbers again. I clipped off all seed heads before ripe this year, but that won't put a dent in the number. I must begin lifting all the little ones and digging out large clumps to take to a burn pile! I still like them, but wish they weren't so full of life in our gardens. Thank goodness they have such pretty flowers, or they'd be outta here:)

o

no, it wasn't a bad idea, but it may not do much good either.

In general chives benefit from drastic pruning and division every 2-3 years, but a simple hair cut doesn't do much.

To keep chives at their optimum you need to take the large clump and religiously follow the mandatory 10 steps with it:

1: Jump up and down on it, tramping it under foot.
2: Spit on it
3: Curse at it with the nastiest words you can bring yourself to utter.
4: Dig it all up and divide the clumps into sections you can toss with one hand.
5. Select one such clump per planting you want.
6: Whip the clump against a wall several times.
7: Cut all the greenery off as close to soil level as you wish.
8: Toss what remains onto the top of the area you wish it to grow.
9: Stomp on it to make good contact with the soil.
10: Leave it alone and it will grow and do well.

Ignore the mandatory 10 steps at your peril ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here