Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic: Last planting date?

Posted by PatinWI zone 3 or 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 12:05

Can anyone tell me how late garlic can be planted in northern WI? We are on the edge of zones 3 & 4.

Thanks you, Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic: Last planting date?

Here is a thread that has slipped to page 2 that can help you and possibly others.

Here is a link that might be useful: When do you plant garlic?

o

In reality, the latest that one can plant is 31 December. That's no smart remark! I did that several years ago just to prove that it could be done. Pulled the shredded leaves aside, chopped through the frozen crust, and planted 6 cloves. They may have been my tough old heirloom or equally tough German Porcelain as I just grabbed what was handy. Excellent results. I would say that the absolute lateness would be determined only by how hard the soil is frozen.

Martin

o

I totally agree with Martin and just out of interest here in the UK there is a saying 'plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest'. This is what I have done in the past and I have also planted well into December. My site is fully open to the sun, and well-drained.

My Website

o

just remember though, the longer you wait, the colder it gets. its a lot more comfortable planting when its in the 40s or 50s than in the low 30s with the wind blowing, snow falling, and cloves slipping from cold fingers. otherwise, up until the ground is frozen, you have time.

keith in calumet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here