Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use bulb tone when planting garlic?

Posted by gardenvt Zone 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 12:31

I was wondering what folks use for fertilizer when they plant garlic in the fall. Someone mentioned they use the bulb tone - anyone here use it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use bulb tone when planting garlic?

Sorry, I don't know about bulb tone.
I've been growing great, large garlic for 15 years now and only use well aged manure based compost. That and some rock phosphate if I feel like the area needs it. I harvested about 400 lbs. this year, much of it was quite large.
Why bother with buying fertilizer when manure is free for the taking?
-Mark

o

I've used Espoma BulbTone but not for garlic. I used it on shallots and it worked pretty good. I do wish I had a contact for some well aged manure based compost but all the folks around here who have manure want top dollar for it now that they know gardeners without animals want it. I settle for Poultry Manure by Espoma when I buy manure. I grow my garlic in containers (EarthBox) so my experiences will be a bit different.

Ingredients in Bulb-Tone:
Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
Potash Magnesia.
*Contains 2.4% Slow Release Nitrogen.

DL

o

dancinglemons, how many cloves per box, and what spacing? Also, is there anything different I should know compared to growing them in the ground, or growing thins other than alliums? I've been growing garlic and using self watering containers for years, but never garlic in containers. My raised beds are increasingly filled with redwood tree roots.

o

I grow in large raised beds. I use Dr. Earth brand 4-4-4 when planting and blood meal in late winter/early spring when the crop gets going again. I have in the past mulched with a combination of bagged chicken manure and composted ground bark product, but find the blood meal to be easier and better for my needs.

I also add organic amendments/nutrients when I feel like it--greensand, bone meal etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here