Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldwebsterfarm

Music & Siberian....all mixed up

OldWebsterFarm
18 years ago

Hello...

I just planted out a mess of garlic on Sunday and somehow my bucket of Music and my bucket of Siberian got mixed together a bit. I know that one is a purple stripe and the other is a porcelain, but the cloves were basically indistinguishable. Any tips/ideas on how I can tell them apart when they send up shoots next spring?

Thanks

Pat

Comments (7)

• username_5
    18 years ago

nope. Mine appeared identical to me. Both had purple on the skin, both sent up greenery about the same height etc. Even the bulb size was comparable although I expected siberian to be a tad larger than music.

Then again I didn't look real closely so possibly there was some difference and I just didn't notice it.

Now, if you don't mind I am going to ask a semi related question in your thread. What is up with the purple on the wrappers? Is this more determined by environment than genetics or vice versa?

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Music & Siberian, worlds apart! But you have to wait and allow the scapes to mature to see the difference. Music has tiny bulbils while Siberian has large ones. When exploded, Siberian clove skins are slightly darker. Otherwise, I'm sitting here looking at a bulb of each and they are virtually identical.

Martin

• username_5
    18 years ago

Thanks Martin, since I just cut scapes off I wouldn't have ever seen the difference.

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

I can definitely tell my Musik and Siberian apart, as Martin describes.

But - I have 2 varieties which I bought last year just as an experiment. Ihad a few spare feet of row to fill out so I went down to the garden store near me and bought "Ontario Purple Trillium" and "Vladivostok."

Well, I can't tell these two apart, and they look very similar to Siberian - except that their topsets are quite small like Musik.

I'm suspicious. Is someone out there just re-naming heads of garlic and distributing them as something unique. (We know this happens with potatoes and tomatoes)
    What do you think?

Cheers
    Maryanne in WMass

• username_5
    18 years ago

I think it is entirely possible, Maryanne. It may not be a conspiracy of unscrupulous individuals as much as simple mix ups, but I think it is entirely possible.

With garlic it is known for certain that the names are mixed up with vendors having different names for the same thing so...

The way I look at it is I grow garlic and if I like it then I save cloves and replant. If I don't like it then I don't replant it. This way I may not definitively know the common name of what I grow with 100% certainty, but I do know that I can grow garlic that I like for the rest of my life unless a catastophic crop failure occurs.

• garlicgrower
    18 years ago

True - you don't need the correct name to grow great garlic.
    My favorite is still the one I got at the farmer's market labled 'rocambole" and that's all.
    Maryanne in WMass

• OldWebsterFarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

True enough, you don't need to know what it is you're growing in the backyard...as long as it tastes good But it is important when you need to grow the stuff in order to save and sell seed, like I'm doing.

Thanks to everyone for your help.