Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch on top of garlic shoots?

Posted by AlliYum z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 05 at 14:03

I planted the seed garlic I held back from my harvest at the end of September. It came up rather quickly and has grown several inches. I usually mulch with straw. I'm wondering if it will be OK to mulch on top of the shoots that are already up or will that harm them? Should I try to place the mulch between the shoots? I guess I must have mulched earlier in the past years or else the seed sprouted later because I don't recall having greens up before putting the straw down. Suggestions please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch on top of garlic shoots?

Normal procedure would be to mulch immediately after planting. Then the plants can come up through the mulch if they so desire. Since I've always mulched with leaves, whole or shredded, those could mat fairly solid. Several years, the plants have come up through that and still not enough cold weather to stop them. I simply add more mulch but give up after 5 or 6 inches. This year, I've also got some 6" growth above the several inches of mulch. More will be added when cold weather comes but the garlic probably doesn't need it.

In short, you can go ahead and mulch now or wait until the cold wilts the leaves naturally. Either way doesn't matter since that growth is expendable. The plants will start all over again next spring.

Martin

o
RE: Mulch on top of garlic shoots?

Great to know that info about the expendable growth. I have planted 25 cloves after 24 hours of soaking in water. They are up and out about 6 inches now, and I suspect they will continue to grow until the weather changes. I can't wait until Spring and the harvest :) I think I may put some more in teh ground in the next few days just to have some more growing. Garlic is great food :) Also makes great salsa ingredient :) I put 3 inches of mulch on them right after I put them in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here