Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
music vs.german white..NY white vs.callifornia white

Posted by frogy 4 iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 14:13

ive herd from sevral growers from all over the u.s. that music and german white are the same thing.i do know that german white is allso called german extra hardy.i bought 1 bulb of music at a markit to compare with my german white and they certinly look the same and taste the same to me.i know german white is a hard neck and i think music is a hard neck allso.ok,ok,ok, same ?? with new york white.is NY white the same as german white??is new york white a hard neck (i think it is)or is NY white the same as callifornia white? (but i think callifornia white is a soft neck)annyone got anny input on this?thanks
frog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: music vs.german white..NY white vs.callifornia white

....or is NY white the same as german white????

o

If you ask me (and I guess you kind of did ;-) many varieties of garlic are the exact same thing genetically, just grown in different places. Depending on where it is grown and the soil and other conditions the exact same garlic can show variances.

Look at it this way. If it tastes the same when eaten raw and looks the same and grows the same, what's the real difference?

Nothing important, that's for sure ;-)

Having said that, I don't know the claimed lineage for the varieties you named so I can't say for certain.

o

Hi, I think that I read somewhere that New York White is also known as Polish White and I grow both Polish White and German Extra Hardy and they both are differant varieties for sure as they do not look the same as Polish White has 10 to 15 cloves in several layers and the German Extra Hardy has 5 to 8 large cloves in 1 layer.
Hope this helps- Gary

o

thanks for the input folks.it gives me something to ponder.annyone eles got anny ideas on this?
frog

o

Music is supposedly of Italian origin. Therefore it would not seem plausible to think of it as being the same as a German variety. Many garlic varieties have a nearly identical bulb but may have entirely different bulbils. If both bulbs and bulbils are identical, then one may assume that two varieties are either the same or very closely related.

Martin

o

I thought that New york white was a soft neck(artichoke type) and CA white was a silverskinype soft neck . Neither like Music a hardneck porcelain?

o
RE: NY White link

New York White is called Polish white and IS a artichoke type softneck. CA white is a silverskin soft neck. see this link about NY White http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/65107.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here