Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic sprouting

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 14:48

Hi,

I am on zone 9b/10 and I planted some garlic a few days ago. Today I noticed one is already sending a sprout out. Is this normal? I thought they didn't do this till like Spring? Sorry I am a 1st time grower. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic sprouting

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 15:56

Mine spout every fall, but generally take three weeks at a 1" to 1-1/2" planting depth. They were planted 9/26 and are about 3" out of the ground. In a mild winter here the sprouted foliage can stay green until spring (mine always burns on the tips, though).
hortster

o

Don't worry, been planting garlic for several years. This far south always sprout. Winters are so mild little effect on them. Biggest problem if we can get enough "cold days" for vernalization. If you selected good warm weather garlic should do fine.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 13:34

My garlic came up in the Fall, too.
I think it will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here