Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Clarify the garlic planting moon magic please?

bananastand
10 years ago

I know some folks chalk this up to myth and legend, but from what I understand there may be some benefit to planting garlic in time with the October full moon.

Here's my question... do I want to plant just BEFORE, on the SAME DAY, or just AFTER the full moon?

I've read it all ways on the crazy internet.... thanks for any insights!

Comments (13)

• skeip
    10 years ago

The logic and method of planting by the moon is that crops whose harvestable outcome is produced below the ground, should be planted by the dark of the moon. Crops whose harvestable outcome is produced above the ground, would be planted by the light of the moon. Light of the moon = full moon, dark of the moon = new moon. The purported "force" is most potent at the zenith of the moons path, be it light or dark.

Steve

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I personally do not believe in these myths.

It takes garlic over two weeks to sprout(depending on weather). So when does that magical lunar miracle happen ?

I only know that Moon has some gravitation pull. That causes high tides. And it is irrelevant of the phase of moon. In other words, the Moon orbits around the earth every 29 days or so. But because the earth rotates around its own axes every 24 hours, we see the moon every 24 hour(at different time every day) but at different phase. Dark moon has the same effect on earth as does the full moon.
    The Moon light itself is nothing but the reflection of the Sun's light and there is no magic about it.

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

If one is in touch with nature then it happens without using a calendar. I can never recall what/when, but always seem to get them in at the right time. Or so I believe.

• bananastand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the skepticism and also the logical explanations... but I still don't clearly see my answer here. According to what Steve says, it sounds like the full moon advice would be totally off. Is that right?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

Maybe this chart will help. I'd consider garlic a below ground crop. Can't say as I've ever consulted such charts when planting crops, though. Looks like they suggest Oct. 24 and 25.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astrological planting calendar

• seysonn
    10 years ago

As I said in my prior post full moon, half moon or whatever, is the amount of the face of moon(facing Earth) that reflect sunligh.
    Otherwise the moon is the same except it's relative position changes .

So, as far as I am concerned, the only effect of the moon is its gravitation pull on part of the Earth that it is facing.

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 7:03

• yopper
    10 years ago

I always do my planting in the day time.So I don't usually see the moon. YOPPER

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Posted by yopper 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 9:23

I always do my planting in the day time.So I don't usually see the moon. YOPPER
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    LOL. I have never looked for the moon either and my garlics always do fine. They are growing now.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It was noticed that different plants grow better when they were planted during different phases of the moon. Presumably, each of these phases imparts an influence on the way vegetation grows on the planet, through whatever forces may be active.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"it was noticed", "presumably" and other assumption and judgement are just some guessing games so long as they are not backed by scientific data and research. If there is any effect from the moon must be in its gravitational pull and it has nothing to do with the phase of moon but its position to a given location at a given time.

Not being able to rule out, does not translate into believing in it and accepting it. I can make unlimited non sense claims that you cannot rule them out totally as non sense but it does not mean that there is truth to my non sense claims.
    So the default is what we can prove or already has been proven by scientific methods.

• skeip
    10 years ago

One reply, and then I will let it drop because it really has nothing to do with gardening. To turn your argument against you, has anyone used the "scientific method" to prove that these forces do not have any effect? I think at best we should agree to disagree. At least, that is what the life force in my garden suggested that I do!

Steve, with all due respect

• bananastand
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a National Geographic article with some reference to scientific study on this-- though it does seem rather inconclusive.

I decided I'm just going to plant today. I have time and it's a lovely sunny fall day! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: National Geographic article on moon planting

• seysonn
    10 years ago

HAVE FUN GARDENING , GUYS. ANY WAY YOU LIKE. And please don't get offended by the opposing views. This is a FORUM. A place for different views.

National Geographic just quoted somebody who has heard from his grandfather ...this and that. That is just personal views and not an evidence.

As I mentioned before, if there is any effects it has to be related to the moon's gravitational pull which has nothing to do withe the phase of moon. Another thing is that when seeds are covered with soil they are not affected by moon shine. In fact most seeds do not require light for germination and some prefer darkness.

Believe in heavenly bodies and forces has its roots in mythology ,astrology and fortune telling too.

HAPPY GARDENING !

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA