Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter garlic watering

Posted by tishtoshnm 6/NM (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 15:16

Are there are any guidelines on how much water garlic needs during the winter. Last winter it did snow in my locale but the snow had very low moisture content and my garlic was very undersized compared to previous years. My best guess was lack of moisture. So, how often should I water or how much water does garlic need during the dorman season? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter garlic watering

I think the only dormant season garlic has is during the summer when the foliage dies down. It doesn't grow in winter when the ground is frozen but during warm spells it does grow (slowly).

In a dry climate, I'd use the same watering rules in winter that I would in summer: keep the ground moist, not wet, and don't let the ground dry out. Can't really tell you how much to water or when.

Rodney

o

You can water them in the fall, IF it has been REALLY dry for a LONG time and your garlics have already sprouted. But after the first frost I will just forget watering till spring time till around few weeks before the last frost. But then it depend on how much rain you get.

o

I do water when planting in the fall but it does not take long for the ground to dry out at that soil depth, even when mulched. I have little fear of the garlic rotting from too much moisture (just not a problem here). Perhaps I will try watering half the bed once a month (when we have no precipitation) and the other half just at planting.

o

I watered mine lightly today.
If your soil has good drainage , watering should not be a problem at this time and growth stage even if it was not necessary, I also lightly sprinkled some Nitrogen fertilizer before watering. Garlics and onions are considered LEAFY vegetables. Their bulbs are just continuation of their leaves. They benefit from nitrogen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here