Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjjohnny

growing garlic on a slope

jjjohnny
16 years ago

I have prepared an organic bed 6'x70' using a sod cutter to remove the grass. The bed runs crosswise on a slope that is appx. 15-20 percent. I plan to plant 3 rows 30" apart in this bed. Can I plant on a slope or do I have to level the bed? Should I roto-till the entire bed or just the rows and amend them before I plant? Does anyone have any suggestions for garlic types to plant here in Pittsburgh, PA? I know we are a little late for planting but I have planted garlic before in Dec. and it grew fine. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Joy and John

Comment (1)

• bloosquall
    16 years ago

Johny,

Wow, that's steep huh...anyway if you can get a tiller on that ground then yes tear it up at least 9" deep...the deeper the better. I like purple stripe and porcelain. One suggestion for you is to leave a grass strip between the areas you want to grow in, this will cut down on erosion. I think you can plant it on the slope just fine..the bulb won't care.

being that it's this late you can cover the ground to be planted with some black plastic to gain some heat for maybe a week before planting then be sure to cover the bed with a healthy layer of mulch to retain that heat.

I hope my advice helps you .

Bloosquall Garlic Gardens
    Waitsburg Wa