Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing for Red Inchelium

Posted by rj_hythloday 8A (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 15:53

I want to plant some garlic in a container. It is 13" across and 12" deep round terracotta. I picked out the largest heads and saved the largest cloves of what I'm pretty sure is red inchelium from the store. I read that they should be spaced 3" - 4" apart. I'm thinking that I could plant 5 cloves in one container. How's that sound?

I filled the bottom w/ coffee grounds, egg shells and some cardboard, then compost and potting soil on top. I'm going to soak the cloves in red wine vinegar overnight and then rinse in rubbing alcohol, does that sound right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Is 5 too many in a sq foot pot

So does 5 sound ok? or maybe I should only do 3 or 4? Any SFG garlic growers here?

Also to clarify it is supposed to be rinsed w/ rubbing alcohol right?

o
RE: Spacing for Red Inchelium

Cannot imagine why one would go to the messy trouble of soaking the cloves before planting. I have never heard of that done here. I'd say skip the soaking and just plant 'em.

I grow in containers of a sort (they are 3 foot in diameter round raised beds) and I plant 3 to 4 inches apart regardless of variety. I use a soil-less mix consisting of potting soil, composted wood wastes (ground bark) and manure.

My suggestion is to get some half barrels (either wood or plastic) and use those. It would be a lot less labor intensive for you that way. Keeping all those small pots watered and fertilized would be a painful chore in my world.

o

I may be moving soon or during the winter, military future is uncertain. I'm using the container as an alternative. I'm thinking I might be able to transplant them in the spring before the get too big? I read about the soaking in vinegar here. It came w/ the directions some one got from http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/ . I can't afford their prices right now, but I will get some different cultivars next year if I have an definite home front.

Here is a link that might be useful: gourmet garlic

o

Rj,

I grew a few inchelium this year and will be planting some next week. These can get really large like 3"+. All my cloves get a 6" spacing no matter what they are. The alcohol is to kill any unwanted fungus that may be on the wrapper, good idea from a better safe than sorry point of view.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here