Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots--what to do??

Posted by wolverine1012 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 16:00

I got my shallots in late this spring (closeout at the store that I couldn't resist). They're still actively growing. How much rest do they need before replanting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots--what to do??

They should be in the ground by now.

Steve

o

These are still some of the healthiest looking shallots I have ever seen. I wish that they looked this good all through the growing season. I'm tempted to just leave them alone and let them overwinter except that I hate trying to till around things that are still planted.

What would you do?

o

Sorry, misunderstood your question the first time. It's too late in the season to dig, dry and replant successfully. I would probably err on the side of caution and dig, divide and replant half of them, and leave the other half in the ground. Either way you're guaranteed some continuation of your line. If shallots, garlic and some onions are not dug and divided each season, the storage structure tends to get smaller and smaller and the tops more "grassy". At worse, next harvest, you'll have smaller shallots that you may have to grow on for a season or two to get them back to size. Good Luck.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here