Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my poor garlic

Posted by litotes USDA zone 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 05 at 16:42

I have had some garlic in the ground for about a month. All have produced good shoots with the exception of a few. These few have all gone rotten in the ground. I first noticed a problem when the shoots started to curl and yellow. I guess I thought it was the heat, as its still pretty hot in North Texas. I have watered pretty well as a result. The soil is moist but not waterlogged.

Over the last week I have been looking at the curled and yellowed stems closely and have managed to pull away the shoots with no effort. On inspection the cloves were part solid and part mushy.

Is it too soon for garlic to be in the ground? Have I watered too much? Can too much sun cause bolting?

Any help would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my poor garlic

here in zone 4 they go in about the second week of october.and dug up about the last week of jully.
sounds like you have some rot,maybee too much watter,allso garlic needs well draining soil.i dont watter mine at all unless its supper dry.hopefully a grower from zone 7 will reply with the correct time of year to put in for your zone.good luck
frog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here