Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artichoke? Softneck with odd-shaped cloves

Posted by crbeagles none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 17:37

A few years ago, I bought a pound of garlic from a Colorado organic garlic company that was supposed to be Polish White, which is an artichoke. But after a few years in my soil and zone (Zone 4a), it doesn't have "layers of cloves" like an artichoke typically does.

What kind of softneck is this, if not an artichoke?

Can artichoke varieties form bulbs with this distribution of cloves in certain zones/soils?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artichoke? Softneck with odd-shaped cloves

It still looks pretty artichoke-y to me. Even though they look large and few in number, they still look like they are "trying" to grow in layers.

Different combinations of weather and photoperiod in a particular season are bound to have an effect on the size and number of cloves.

o
RE: Artichoke? Softneck with odd-shaped cloves

I think it may be an Asiatic turban type. They have those big cloves in the middle. I would expect them to be small in your climate because they finish early. If you let one bloom next year and develop bulblets, you will be able to narrow it down further. Some Asiatics have big bulblets and others have tiny ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here