Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uh oh, some kind of rust on my bunching onions

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 19:12

Today I found that a few of my bunching onions were covered in characteristic red spots of some kind of rust infection. Maybe garlic rust? ANyway, I pulled all of the ones I found with the red stuff on them (they will be eaten) and threw away any refuse with spots on it. Do I need to be concerned about this getting on other scallions and destroying my onion bed? Is it really all that serious? Aside from getting rid of the stuff, is there anything I can do to keep it off the other plants?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uh oh, some kind of rust on my bunching onions

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 12:51

Here's info from U Ariz
http://ag.arizona.edu/PLP/plpext/diseases/vegetables/onion/Garlicrust.htm

And here's info from U of CA
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r584101211.html

Looks like a 2- to 3-year rotation is your bet bet.

Here is a link that might be useful: infor from Univ CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here