Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Garlic Fertilizer Ideas

deanriowa
14 years ago

Would it be possible to use coffee grounds or homemade urea?

What would be good application rates?

What time of year should these be applied?

thanks,

Dean

Comments (10)

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

Garlic likes nitrogen for top growth, which in turn nourishes the bulb. Phosphorus and potassium are not as critical so long as they are not deficient.

I don't recall the nitrogen content of coffee grinds but I think it's fairly low - I think of it more as a soil structure amendment. Urea is a good source of N.

Recommended applications rates I have seen are about 50 lbs elemental N per acre at planting in the fall, then two or three applications at 20-25 lbs N/acre each between early March and mid May.

TomNJ

• michaelc0
    14 years ago

What is "homemade urea"???

• novelist
    14 years ago

Quote:
    "What is "homemade urea"???"

----------

I believe it is urinating in the garden or collecting it and watering.

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I opt for the collecting and diluting with water, and then feeding the plants.

Do not tell the wife, but I have used it on some tomato and cucumber plants early in the season, and they have turned out to be big and beautiful plants.

Anyone use Homemade Urea on garlic?

thanks,
    Dean

• michaelc0
    14 years ago

Although there is some Urea in urine, they are not the same thing. Urine does supplies a wide range of nutrients, but keep in mind the salt content of urine. Some Alliums are much more salt sensitive than other plants. Onions are very sensitive and Garlic is moderaterly salt-sensitive. I would think the occasional use of watered down "Liquid Gold" would be ok for all but the most salt sensitive plants(onions, carrots, beans.)

See link below and go to page 5 to see salt tolerance of various crops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Tolerance pdf

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

During the growing season I go outside at night and water the garlic whenever possible. I was reading about some guy that would urinate off his porch into the garlic bed. he wrote the one that got "watered" the most was always the biggest one.

-bloo

• michaelc0
    14 years ago

bloo,
    That's good to hear. I think I'll plant a small test area and compare it to my garlic grown in beds fertilized with cottenseed meal, blood meal, and maxicrop. In all fairness, I'll mulch the test area with homemade compost the same as the other beds.

Thanks, Michael

• gardenguyvt
    14 years ago

bloo,
    Um, I suggest you don't advertise the secret of your success.

Sales may slow to a trickle. And I'm sure no one here wants to see your business go down the drain! ;-)

• bloosquall
    14 years ago

VT guy,

you are a clever one. lol

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I will do a test bed myself and fertilize the first couple of plants in each row and compare them to the others in the row. Since it is for personal use only, I guess I only need not tell the family.

thanks,
    Dean

Sponsored