Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honu_gw

garlic variety for tropical climate?

honu
18 years ago

I am very impressed with the knowledge and sharing of helpful ideas in this forum, and kicking myself for not visiting earlier. I am so happy to find this group of garlic connoisseurs. I absolutely love garlic, but didn't think I could grow them here since I never saw local-grown garlic at the markets. I'm tired of supermarket garlic -- weak tasting, dry, and starting to sprout. Occasionally a health food store will have an organic very purple one with small cloves with a nice strong flavor and aroma, but it's not always available. I wish I knew what variety that was. They also had organic red and white ones, but these were a bit weak tasting to me.

Reading about all the wonderful varieties in this forum has inspired me -- I want to try growing it. I checked out one of my favorite seed catalogs -- and at $8.00 plus shipping, I want to make sure I order something that will work in our warm tropical climate, and also have great flavor. I don't want polite, mild types. I'm not afraid of garlic breath, want one with intense flavor, but not necessarily a lot of burn, with a strong persistent aroma, and will hold its flavor after light cooking. What varieties would have these characteristics, and also be able to grow in my warm, humid, tropical climate? Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner