Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Caramelized onions not sweet at all.

bella_trix
16 years ago

I just caramelized some of my onions from this year and they were not in the least bit sweet. They also seem to have a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm trying to figure out if it was my growing conditions or the variety. I thought all onions would turn sweet when caramelized. The variety was Giant Zittau. Because of some unfortuately circumstances, they were planted too close and in the ground a little late (started from seed in February). They are only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches across, but chopped up fine and were definitely very oniony (tears, tears). I also planted Yellow Parma, New York and Walla Walla (sweet, but eaten quickly, what few remained did not store) and had the same small onions. Do you think it was the variety or the conditions? If it is the variety, can you recommend a variety that stores reasonably well, but caramelizes to a nice sweetness? I like making a dish called Majadara that calls for a lot of caramelized onions. I was thinking of Candy, but like another poster here, I have a big problem with Monsanto. I'm not sure I can get past it, so any other variety suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Bellatrix

Comment (1)

Sponsored