Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Slow Sprouting Carlics

seysonn
10 years ago

I have planted my garlics longer than a month ago but still some have not sprouted yet. I dug and checked. They are sprouting but yet in the ground.
What is the problem ? Our temps are in 45 to 57F range. But I think it should be ok for garlics ! ! !

This post was edited by seysonn on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 10:39

Comments (13)

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Sprouting is always spotty for me. Most of my early garlic are up, but there are blank spaces left. Always happens this way.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

still_kris ... thanks. That was nice to know that it happens.
    Yesterday I planted few more around the blank spots. There is still time in our location..

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Yes, I have been planning to plant some German Red in a big container so I can keep that strain and hopefully clean it up. Need to get my butt moving on that!

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good luck with the German Reds.

I have just planted about 80 cloves or so, in a raised bed.
    This is my first try here at PNW. I have done in GA several years with fair results. I know people who plant garlics in Portland OR area, commercially. My climate is very similar to theirs.
    I have also planted some onions that I started in August in flat, then potted and finally planted them in the raised bed also.Those, and some leeks and winter radishes are my winter crops.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, all the cloves have sprouted. But It seems to me that they are moving very slowly. Should I sprinkle a little bit Nitrogen ?
    The onions/scallions are doing better. I started them from seed back in August, in FLATS, then POTS, then in BED.
    We are going to have rain and drizzles all the way to May and maybe beyond. I might make a hoop over the stuff.

• Mark
    10 years ago

Don't try to rush it, things grow at their own pace here now that the ground is cool. Fertilizing is just a waste, it'll wash away in no time and you don't want much top growth now anyway. Wait to do any top dressing till March when most of the growth starts.

-Mark

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mark.
    You just came in time just at the right time to clear up my confusion.
    You know all about my climate. So I take your advice as pure gold.
    Our temps are 40 to 50F.
    How your garlics are going ?

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 23:58

• Mark
    10 years ago

Early ones are up completely, about 5" tall. Many others are still emerging. They always come up erratically, it drives me nuts.
    I had a chance to flame weed but there's still some chickweed and grass coming through. I'll have to get out there next dry spell and pull a hoe through it.

-MARK

• opsitnick
    10 years ago

seysonn,I just read your comment about Mark's advice being pure gold. it is.
    It also forced me to register as a user of GW. I just had to share this photo I took this year.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

opsitnick ...Welcome! This is a great site and this forum has taught me a lot. I consider MARK an expert, not just about garlics but just about any gardening topic.

You picture was very interesting; talking about Pure Gold. LOL
    Garlic is also called WONDER HERB.

Mark ... That ERATIC part bothers me too. Some are 2 to 3" up and some are just emerging. Good to know that it is common. Like you said before, have to be patient.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, as of this date, all my garlics have sprouted.
    Tonight and the next couple of night we may get frost. That is a good news, I think. I have heard that they need some cold to bulb better. Is that true ?

• Mark
    10 years ago

I'm glad the garlic is all up.
    They do need cold to vernalize and trigger bulbing, but you shouldn't worry much, winter isn't even here yet. You'll get plenty of freezing temps before you know it and a light frost will feel like spring.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mark,

yes, the winter has not yet begun. It will be a long time. Maybe June?

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets